Be careful when using old wire from dead motors. The wire can be
burned and it will smell TERRIBLE. This wire has a coating as
well, becasue it is magnet wire, used in motors and transformers.
If it wasn't coated, you would have one mass of shorted wire
instead of seperate turns in the coil. I use magnet wire on a
daily basis in making transformers. We remove the insulation by
scraping it off the leads. If you burn it off, it may stink to
high heaven. You don't really want to breathe too much of it in,
Penny Tis true 'bout the smell, but as far as I am told by the
motor winding shop in town, most of the coating is shellac (tree
sap) smelly yes but not terribly toxic. However, I wouldn't go
deep breath the smoke!!!! The motor shop burns the windings
from dead motors before selling it to the scrap dealers. The
owner also makes the most beautiful "trees" from this "used"
wire. This heating also aneals the wire so it is really soft.
John and Cynthia/MidLife Crisis Enterprises
Maiden Metals/C. T. Designs/ Bloomin' Wax Works. etc.
PO Bx 44, Philo
Ph 707-895-2635 FAX 707-895-9332
There is no limit to what you can achieve,
if you don't mind who gets the credit.