Soldering Sterling silver to argentium

I usually use these metals separately but I am trying to use up some scraps - some of each. Is there any issue soldering them together, and should I use Sterling or argentium solder?

1 Like

I have soldered the 2 together for years and never encountered a problem. I use argentium solder. I use mostly small components like bails made from argentium soldered onto SS pendant. You may have a slight color difference as the argentium is brighter/more white than the SS.

1 Like

The one difference no one has mentioned, is that in my experience the argentium has a lower melting point that Sterling I was soldering an “applique” onto a sterling piece and the “applique” started to ball up before I was aware of it… Just be careful of overheating.

1 Like

You also need to treat the whole piece as argentium and delay quenching until it cools a bit on its own.
Judi

1 Like

Agree, heat the SS first then just touch to Argentium with the flame and the solder will flow nicely.

If you don’t have Argentium solder, go down as least one temperature of sterling solder to avoid overheating and melting the Argentium.