Smith disposable regulator for propane- making buzzing sound

Hi,

i am curious to know if anyone else has experienced a buzzing sound when using a smith disposable propane regulator…

i went to switch out a disposable propane tank…and when i opened the torch handle i could hear and feel a buzzing sound from the tank…

i tried 2 new tanks…as well as the old tank…all experienced the buzzing…i did not notice it when i last used the smith little torch system with the almost empty tank…

i just ordered a new regulator…my current one was purchased in 2014 so i figured i was due for a new one anyway…

curious to know if anyone has experienced this and what the cause is…

julie

Once in a while, when I change to a new tank, there are some noises and odd behavior. After a few hours of use, everything settles down. Remember that the pressure in the tank will vary with temperature and level of fill…Rob

2 Likes

Hi,
i heard back from Rio tech support and they said that the noise is probably indicative of diaphragm or valve malfunction…and recommended replacing the regulator

julie

3 Likes

IF the buzzing does not settle down, it’s one of the regulator diaphragms that is getting worn out, especially if the torch is old… If you have a local dealer who can service it, they could simply replace the diaphragm without you having to buy a new regulator set… find out which one, the oxygen or propane one is buzzing by listening with your ear next to it and turn on the gas one at a time… don’t run propane indoors…Smith is a subsidary of Miller Welding… a Miller dealer should also be able to help… Smith also sells repair kits… Diaphragms are made of neoprene… by turning the pressure adjustment, the diaphragm is pushed inwards to allow for more gas pressure and flow, by exposing more surface area of the diaphragm to gas flow…it’s the common mechanism for the secondary stage of all regulators and is the often the primary and only stage in low pressure systems such as propane and low pressure oxygen bottles… propane gas grills have one stage regulators that are preset and non adjustable… I use oxyacetylene for high temperature applications and just an air propane torch for everything else…acetylene can be replaced by a 20lb propane bottle using a gas grill one stage regulator…the high pressure oxygen tank has to be used with the two stage regulator as the pressure in a fully loaded tank is 2,000 psi…

That makes sense. Just replace it. It will be a worthwhile investment and will last another 10ish years.

Glad you figured it out!

Jeff

Hi,

so…!…i shoulda have checked the disposable regulator AND the flashback arrestor/ check valve…AND the hose connection…all separately with the propane tank…and listened for the buzzing noise…BEFORE i ordered a new regulator (although my old one WAS 10 years old…so i have decided to keep the new one and use it).

moral to the story…the noise is not present when the flashback arrestor/ check valve is removed and the tank is cracked open via the regulator…or when the hose is connected directly to the propane tank…

i guess i will call tech support on monday…probably need a new flashback arrestor/ check valve…

ugh! and i paid for fast shipping…ugh!

julie

Hi,

correction- “when the hose was connected directly to the regulator on the tank” (not “connected directly to the tank”)

julie

1 Like

Does this mean that you think it was a “bad” flashback arrestor? That also makes sense.

Jeff

Hi,

i think so…when it was removed from the equation, the bussing mouse stopped…

julie

1 Like

I still see it as a double win for you, despite the added cost… you’re now good to go for at least another 10 years…

1 Like