Small Easy Database for Jewelry Components?

I have been on the hunt for something easy to use where I can list all my jewelry components with photos, etc… all the programs I am finding seem so bulky/clunky and overkill. Anyone have a suggestion?

Airtable is an easy cloud based relational database that you can use on any platform. Look at airtable.com. The only drawback is that, in its free version, you can’t make custom forms or documents where you place fields in a specific physical location. You can import spreadsheets (.CSV) to populate records and fields if you have been using spreadsheets. And it allows a photo field type. Feel free to contact me off line if you want more information…Rob

great…thanks very much. I’ll take a look at that.

I use jewelry design manager. http://www.bejeweledsoftware.com

It lets you generate a lot of useful reports (including a parts catalog of everything that you have).

The owner has always been helpful on the rare occasions that I have had issues.

It is extremely easy to use, but may be more than you want. That said, it’s more than paid for itself in saved time at tax prep time, and helped me get a handle on pricing of my pieces. Good luck in your search.

1 Like

thank you!!

I second Jewelry Design Manager.
Its not flashy, but it works great for jewelry.

I also recommend Jewelry Design Manager

Those of us who use chromebooks can’t install an application locally so we need to rely on cloud or web based apps. I contacted Jewelry Design Manager and they indicated that they are working on one. I run my small jewelry business on spreadsheets and airtable (free cloud based relational database). They meet my needs and, more importantly, the requirements of my CPA. This is a good discussion and the kind that we should have more of. Thanks…Rob

Thanks all. I currently use xcell…my own little database I have been building since I began doing jewelry. I don’t have photos in there, but I have every piece and price and a little area where I plug in the numbers for costs.
If I could figure out a way to attach photos, then that would serve my needs as well. I’l still fooling around with JDM…I guess I have to start somewhere but it’s daunting to think I need to put everything into the system to begin.

Import it as a CSV. into airtable and will be able to easily add pictures. It will still look and act like a spreadsheet, but you will also have relational capabilities an it won’t cost you anything…Rob

I forgot to mention that I think that you can import pictures into excel. Do a search on it…Rob

Including photos in an Excel spreadsheet is easy. Just select the cell
you want to add the photo to, then click on the “Insert” menu, then
click on “Pictures” in the illustrations group, and navigate to the
photos, which you presumably have stored on your computer.

@lorikaplan I can help you with photos in excel. Let’s move it to offline since each spreadsheet is probably implemented differently. rwade@ix.netcom.com
Regards RLW

More efficient to link them in rather than embedded IMHO
REGARDS RLW

1 Like