Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Silver dips


#1

Please help me spread the word about

Good day, Friends,

Most of you know I’m no fan of chemical dips, especially Tarn-X. I
routinely receive objects for refinishing due to damage from this
horribly destructive product. (I mention Tarn-X more than any other
dip because of its overwhelming market share.) Will you help me
spread the word by “Liking” my Facebook page -
http://www.ganoksin.com/gnkurl/ep81st Silver, if it had a voice,
would be grateful as well as those collectors who inhale this nasty
product.

Much appreciated,

Jeff Herman
Hermansilver.com


#2

Thanks for the warning about tarnex. I was recently given a jar of
BlueMagic Metal polish cream which she claims is perfect for cleaning
silver. However, I am reluctant to use it as one of the warnings on
the jar states that if it comes in contact with skin flush thoroughly
with water. I tried getting about it, but was unable to.
Most of whatI found were people extolling its ability to clean just
about any metal.

Do you have any about its safety? Thanks for your help.
Alma


#3

Hello Alma,

When it comes to the safety and abrasiveness of silver cleaners and
polishes, ALWAYS visit these

Silver Dips: http://www.ganoksin.com/gnkurl/ep80r6

Silver Polish Abrasion Ratings:
http://www.ganoksin.com/gnkurl/ep8090

Without trying to sound arrogant, get your on object
care ONLY from qualified conservators.

Jeff Herman
Hermansilver.com


#4
I was recently given a jar of BlueMagic Metal polish cream which
she claims is perfect for cleaning silver. However, I am reluctant
to use it as one of the warnings on the jar states that if it comes
in contact with skin flush thoroughly with water. I tried getting
about it, but was unable to. 

Here a link to the MSDS on it:

http://www.ganoksin.com/gnkurl/ep81sw [PDF file]

alonzo


#5

The vast majority of polishes are rated on how quickly they remove
tarnish, consequently, those are the dips or polishes that are most
abrasive. Ya think?

If after you’ve read my Silver Care Guide you still have questions
on how to care for the pieces you’re creating, just shoot me an
e-mail. Don’t give your customers advice that will damage your own
silver!

Jeff Herman
Hermansilver.com


#6

Thanks for the helpful about silver dips and polishes. I
printed out the list you sent and will keep it for future reference.
Alma


#7

Alonzo. I logged onto the MSDS report on Blue Magic, and was
horrified at how dangerous it is. I will be taking it to the toxic
waste center when I make my next trip.

That stuff needs more warnings on the labels, and actually should be
banned.

Alma


#8

I think it=B4s really important not to panic where chemicals are
concerned. Here=B4s the contents from the MSDS report

Kerosene, aluminum oxide (corundum), a fatty acid (no problem here),
and ammonium hydroxide (just ammonia in solution.)

What=B4s toxic here? What=B4s dangerous? Why should it be banned?


#9
Alonzo. I logged onto the MSDS report on Blue Magic, and was
horrified at how dangerous it is. I will be taking it to the toxic
waste center when I make my next trip. 

Alma, I’m wondering what you found here. I just tried Alonzo’s link,
and for whatever reason, it didn’t work. So deleted the right hand
portion of the URL it sent me to, using just the left part up to the
"MSDS" part of the URL, giving me a list of MSDS listings on that
site. I found the one on Blue Magic (several products with that
brand) metal polishing creme. And I was NOT shocked. What did you
find? What I saw was aluminum oxide (plain old alumina abrasive. If
you’ve got a white platinum rouge next to your polishing machine,
there’s a good chance it’s aluminum oxide. Pretty inert and non
toxic. Then there’s a fatty acid. Think “grease based carrier” Not
very toxic there either. And ammonium hydroxide. Now that one has
toxicity issues. But it’s actually just a normal ammonia/water
solution, same as you might have under your kitchen sink. You want to
rinse that off skin too, and don’t drink it. And then the whole mix
is thinned with Kerosene. That’s also the main ingredient in WD-40,
which you also shouldn’t drink. And it too is flammable…

I’m not saying this polishing creme is food grade or anything, but
I’m wondering just what you thought was so amazingly dangerous here.
It doesn’t set off big warning bells for me on safety issues. You
probably should use it with some ventillation, but that goes for half
the things we use in a jewelry shop…

Now, whether you want to use it on your silver is another question.
It’s an abrasive polish. But so is your buffing machine. And while
I’d imagine Jeffery Herman will have comments and preferences, I say
this stuff is probably better to use than the dips. This stuff won’t
attack the metal the way those dips can.

Peter


#10

Granted, I was a overly concerned. It is just that I try to avoid
chemicals which could be harmful if absorbed in the skin. I realize
now that BlueMagic is harmless if proper precautions are taken.

Alma


#11

The thing about silver dips is the action used is in the name. You
are not supposed to leave silver sitting in it. People do this at my
work and it drives me nuts. All you do is dip it in for seconds like
3 or 4, then take it out and rinse it. Don’t leave it uncovered or
pull out the jewelry and scrub it into my good towel without rinsing
it. If you leave silver in any of them out will mess up the finish.
Tarn ex is fine also of you use it as a dip not a bath. Sorry for
ranting but it’s a pet peave of mine. It’s a chemical reaction, if it
doesn’t work in seconds it isn’t going to work, you need to get out
the polishing cloth.


#12
...Tarn ex is fine also of you use it as a dip not a bath. Sorry
for ranting but it's a pet peave of mine. It's a chemical reaction,
if it doesn't work in seconds it isn't going to work, you need to
get out the polishing cloth. 

Thank you, Shannon, for emphasizing these points. I have cleaned my
brass, copper, and nickel-silver jewelry in Tarn-X for years.
Following the quick dip/rinse/dry with the polishing cloth works
wonders.

Judy Bjorkman


#13
Tarn ex is fine also of you use it as a dip not a bath. Sorry for
ranting but it's a pet peave of mine. It's a chemical reaction, if
it doesn't work in seconds it isn't going to work, you need to get
out the polishing cloth. 

Wrong.