Sharpie right on silver as a resist for ectching?

Transferred a pattern onto silver for a cuff. It’s a beautiful transfer except for one tiny place. Can I just use a sharpie on the metal and will that work in ferric acid? Thanks everybody Christina

It works pretty well. Even better, a really fine point oil based paint pen will work, too.

2 Likes

I use nail polish as a resist in etching.

1 Like

Thank you, I ended up scrubbing off the transfer and redoing it. But I will remember this information for next time a Christina

I have used sharpie pens for etching resist with great success. I use both the fine points and a bit larger, I keep a bit of alcohol at hand to lift any smudges or mistakes. If using stamps, a black Stazon stamp pad works beautifully, too

1 Like

I have used Sharpie for a resist on brass for etchings. Very often I will use sharpies to block large areas and then I will use a pick and scratch through the ink for very fine lines. Occasionally in the middle of some very fine lines.

Don Meixner

2 Likes

Sharpies work ok for a short to medium etch, but I have better success with DecoColor opaque paint markers. I found that if the piece needs to stay in the etch bath for a while you have to clean off the ferric and reapply the sharpie.

1 Like

I make a laser toner resist for my image (in reverse), apply it with heat and burnishing to the silver. Then I use nail polish for all the other areas on the silver that I don’t want etching. I’m still in “infancy” on etching, but I have had fantastic results using laser toner. All of my edges and back are coated with nail polish (I’m partial to Parisian Pink, LOL). Does this help?

1 Like