Sharpening pliers

I have a “good” set of German made jewellers pliers but over the years the cutting edges have become dull and the edges of all the tools are just not quite what they used to be. Can these be sharpened and edges cleaned up? If so how - should I get someone to rehab them or can I do it myself? I live off the mainland in BC Canada the nearest major city is Vancouver. Thanks all for your help

Do you mean side cutters or end cutters instead of pliers?

Yes sorry I’m having to learn terms and techniques on line as I have no contact with other people with similar
interest

An easy way to learn nomenclature is to pick up a few catalogs from suppliers. You can always get them at the trade shows, and some will surely mail them to you. Looking at catalogs online is not nearly as relaxing as browsing actual pages.
For techniques, there are many good and a few excellent reference volumes. For an excellent overview of the craft pick up a copy of Oppi Untracht’s “Jewelry: Concepts and Technology.” It’s out of print, so pricey. His earlier book “Metal Techniques for Craftsmen” is also excellent, and less expensive, but is more generalized.

You can use a hard disk called a separating disc on a flex shaft to sharpen those but you have to keep the cutting edges even. Mimic what was there. Sometimes you have to take a little of the tip as well. If you get it good don’t use it on anything but gold, silver or platinum. If anyone touches it make sure you say “where are you going with that” SD

1 Like

scavengerqr

December 18

You can use a hard disk called a separating disc on a flex shaft to sharpen those but you have to keep the cutting edges even. Mimic what was there. Sometimes you have to take a little of the tip as well. If you get it good don’t use it on anything but gold, silver or platinum. If anyone touches it make sure you say “where are you going with that” SD

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Brought to you by:

In Reply To

Gwenn

December 18

Yes sorry I’m having to learn terms and techniques on line as I have no contact with other people with similar interest

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Brought to you by:

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

These were reshaped with a separating disk after a co-worker used them on steel and put big dents in them. Tip was trashed too. Now it cuts right up to the tip. SD

Hi, I’m thinking of upgrading my bench light. I presently use a double fluorescent 18” bulb. The bulbs are old and not producing as much light as I would like as fluorescent bulbs do as the get old.

I’m wondering if anyone uses LED bench lights and has any recommendations.

Thanks!

Rick Copeland

Hi Rick, I got these on Amazon and they
are awesome! They were $48 free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GHWPF6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B071GHWPF6&linkCode=as2&tag=ganoksincom-20&linkId=311bddaa7d3db9032b973612b58482b9

Jarsant 4ft 40W ( 100W Equivalent )…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XYVPZ2T/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B07XYVPZ2T&linkCode=as2&tag=ganoksincom-20&linkId=89329a6e501a477012cc561252028759+

Note From Ganoksin Staff:
Looking for a led work light for your jewelry projects? We recommend:

Hi Rick,
I use two 40” led suspended fixtures, one on each side of my studio, from Costco. They were each under $50(Cdn) and provide ample light. I also have 2 ceiling tracks with 6 leds each, but I find I don’t need them. (It’s a 12x14 shed).
These suspended lights can also be attached to the underside of a shelf, if desired. They have made a huge difference in the amount of light. Loving it!

Denny (in Wellington, Prince Edward County, where I have to shovel a path in the 3ft. deep snow to get to the shed.)

Ted here in the S uk.

OK, so 3 ft of snow!! we only had that in 1967. not much since!
A question?
shed insulation? and heating? what have you got?
Im feeling the cold a lot more, anno domini is the problem,
the next expenditure here is proper insulation and heating. Lighting like you I use led’s. Good for old tired eyes. as well as being much more efficient being off grid and making our own leccy.
Have solar panels but been cloudy for a week!

Ted.

Hi Ted,
Expecting-27Celcius tonight (without the
windchill!)
The shed is well insulated and baseboard
heated, although the concrete floor is cold.
If it wasn’t for lack of running water (read
“Bathroom”, I’d probably never come out!

“-27?”, Winnipeg, Manitoba had a 10 year low of -31C. When I lived in that
warm city 4 decades ago it reached -41. That’s where Fahrenheit and Celsius
have the same numbers…its was still quite ‘cool’…enjoy wearing ‘triple
layers’ of overcoats while soldering. Do you plug in your car to keep it
warm overnight?

*Gerry Lewy *
Toronto.

• (905) 886-5961 *

Hi Gerry,
I am sooo spoiled. When I lived in Toronto my car was always parked in our
garage. I never had to clean it off! Out here, there is no garage. I’ve been spending
lots of time scraping and brushing. Can’t say I’m loving it…

den

In WPG, if you didn’t plug your car into an electrical outlet in the parking lots…dead battery! This when the temps got to -20F!
Heck, these Canadian winters are so much fun.:wink:

Gerry! On my Teaching iPhone!

This should be moved to YAK, but I can’t help but add my 2 cents.

I lived in Peace River, Alberta (Canada!) for one winter. It went down to 48* F. below zero. I had two batteries in my car and most definitely had it plugged in! The electricity bills were terrible.

My wife and I went on a hike and picnic with a group of friends ON a river, at -30* F. Hot cocoa was never so good!

We had to take our coats off when on a hike to town at a roasting zero degrees F.

I feel colder now in very damp southern Oregon than I ever felt in Peace River. It was a dry cold. :wink:

Neil A

Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada
December 29, 2017
Today Sunny. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 30 C. Extreme wind chill minus 46 C.
Tonight Clear. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 38 C. Extreme wind chill minus 49 C.
Good news is that when it is this cold, we always have sunny days.
Bad news is that it’s been sunny all week and will be for a while yet.
Still smiling and staying inside!
XXX OOO HO HO HO

Noella,

Sunny whith mixed clouds and humidity frozen out of the air here …… (Abercorn, QC)

https://weather.gc.ca/forecast/hourly/qc-135_metric_e.html Today

Increasing cloudiness. Periods of light snow beginning near noon. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 21 (-5.8 freedom units) . Wind chill minus 32 (-25.6 freedom units).

Tonight

Periods of light snow ending near midnight then clearing. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 24(-11.2 freedom units). Wind chill minus 32.

Sat, 30 Dec

A mix of sun and cloud. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 19. Wind chill minus 31.

Night

Cloudy with 70 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 27.

I have Iqaluit saved on my weather ap on this phone, so that any time I, or someone else start to complain about the cold here in upstate NY, I can check Iqaluit, and realize how good we have it here.

Today in Iqaluit:

Checking that makes makes this seem more tropical

Prescott Valley, AZ
Friday
Sunny
Sunny
71°F | °C
Precipitation: 0%
Humidity: 12%
Wind: 6 mph
TemperaturePrecipitationWind
I can’t complain.