Several questions about business cards

Dear Orchidians,

I need to ask questions about your business card:

1. Are you happy with your card design and what do you feel makes it
    successful?

2. Do you have both sides printed and do you use a photo of your work?
    Does both sides have a photo?
    I do not like cards that have several small photos, I think one very
    beautiful one is best. What do you think?

3. I only plan on have my name, e-mail, maybe tel. no., not sure about
    this yet…but NOT my address as I work at home.

4). Do you use the traditional size business card or a larger format or
both? Personally I like a bit larger ones with a great photo when I
visit galleries but then I am not looking to buy as I make my own. It just
looks nice to have a great photo card as a inspiration near my desk.
But what do clients prefer and what makes them want to contact you in
future?

1. I am planning on using an on-line printing company as it works for my
    budget. What do you think?

2. Colors, are some better than others in your opinion? As in white with
    black lettering or a color card with color printing?

And any other things you can tell me before I design and order new cards??

​Thank you so much for your help!!!

Sharron…in middle Mexico watching my humming birds feed outside
while working.​

1 Like

Black and white, PO BOX not home address, phone number, email address, website, that’s it. Get them done at Staples. I leave the photos for my website…Rob

I like to put a picture on the front and info on back, otherwise I forget why I picked up the card.

Hey Sharron,

I used an online company for my cards. After one redo for crooked printing, I’m happy.

I know some people who put photos of their work on their cards, Santa Fe Silverworks, for example. But he creates several versions of his card, each with a different photo. So kind of expensive.

I opted for no photo, but embossed silver metallic text on a black background. Simple black on white background on the back with my name, phone, email, and website. No address for the same reason as you.

Front of Card

I used a traditional size (I find odd sized cards a little annoying to store neatly with other cards), but chose rounded corners to make holding them more comfortable to hold in the hand. I also opted for a fairly stiff card stock; filmsy cards always leave me with a cheap feeling.

I’ve made my card, website, and labels for boxes, etc. consistent with the same theme. I consider my card part of my branding, and not just contact info.

Whatever you choose, remember that your card is the impression people are going to take away with them.

Best regards,
Alec… in New Mexico where it’s way too cold for the hummingbirds until spring, but the magpies are still perky.

1 Like

You are asking how do other artists design their business card, but an artist’s business card is part of his marketing strategy, therefore it is unique.

You have to think about how you intend to use the card. Also, when you distribute your card, how will those folks use your card?

Regarding pictures on cards, whenever you create a new line of jewelry, the photos of your older work do not quite represent your newer work. You might need to buy new cards frequently, just to refresh the pictures.

You mentioned collecting photo cards for inspiration. Do you want other artists to keep your card for inspiration?

You asked what do clients prefer. You need to determine who (in general terms) is your market. In other words, what do most of your customers have in common, what are they like and what do they like? There is no point in trying to satisfy anyone other than the people who want to buy your work. The bottom line of all the reasons most folks share their business cards is to help them earn money.

Regarding home addresses, in the USA, addresses and phone numbers on documents that are available to the public will always be on the internet. Public information is out of control in terms of not protecting our privacy. The best we can hope for is to generate enough high quality search engine entries about ourselves and our work so that our personal information will be pushed to page 92 on a name search.

In terms of security, if your personal information is readily available on the net, then criminals can find it, so does it really matter if it’s on your card or not? On the other hand, if you do not want clients showing up on your doorstep or calling you, then leave that information off the card.

You asked about business card size, quality and colors. The answer lies in “who is your market?”. What do they expect? What paper quality do they like? Do certain fonts and colors have meaning to them? It’s a lot of research on your part, and you might try to extract some of these answers in casual conversation with your repeat customers.

1 Like

Mine are white with black and a bit of red. I have Always preferred a Good linen card. It seems to feel different in the hand. Between contrast and textureI believe it conveys more professional taste and appearance.

For mine I have a semi close up photo of a pair of cufflinks on the front to pique one’s interest, and then my name and contact info in smallish print on the back with blank space. I think it’s important to leave enough room somewhere to make notes for either yourself or a customer and not just cram everything onto one card.

I primarily make judaica. Every year in the fall, to coincide with the jewish new year, I make a new card. The front has a piece of my work and contact info. The back a jewish calendar for the forthcoming year. As the jewish calendar is lunar the dates of the holidays change and people find it a handy item to keep in wallet/purse and refer to.

I also have a non-judaica card. It is clean simple having opnly contact info ona white background and my mantra “whimsy, aesthetics, function”

I’ve always thought MOO makes interesting business cards. They provide all kinds of unique sizes which I think help make them more memorable. And I also like they they’ll let you print a different image on the back of every card (or pick like 10 images e.g.) rather than having to order 100 of the same image.

Here’s their “mini card” size which I think is nice:

They have lots of other sizes too.

(I should note that I’ve never ordered from them but I’ve seen them used by lots of artisans.)

1 Like

Hi Leah,

Moo makes the cards I referred to earlier, talking about having various cards, each with a photo of a different piece. He chose their square cards, and they certainly look great. But I also found them to be relatively expensive. They make a striking display, scattered around the booth at a show.

Alec

Mine are Black and white, Business name, email, phone number for appointments on the front. On the back is a listing of bracelet styles and sizes, a space to write down the price, a prescription of sorts for clueless husbands. It comes with the verbal advice to put it on the refrigerator at eye level two weeks before a gift giving event.

I still print them myself but that is about to change.

Don

It depends on who you want your audience to be. We cater to the uber wealthy so my card is ivory colored very nice stock with classic script lettering style with only my name and gold and platinum smith on them along phone number, email and web site. No photos.
If you are marketing to more casual folks then go for having an eye catching card with a good clear logo and basic info. Don’t get too busy or fussy. I do not recommend a photo as you will only have room for maybe once piece. Then folks will think that you do only that one thing.
My advice is to stick with a standard biz card size and shape. the odd shaped though very cool looking are usually tossed out because they don’t stack well and tend to get lost.
Never ever put your home phone or address on a card for security reasons.

Thanks Jo, all of this sounds exactly how I feel. No photo is good, as
you say they think that is the only thing/style I do.
And I would never put home phone nor address on anything. Security, and
safety is first concern.

BTW. I thank you for all the info you have given other jewelers, whether
beginners or more advanced.

Sharron …with sunny days but cold nights in the center of Mexico.

Hello Jo, Ditto on NEVER putting your address on land line phone number on a business card. Why make it easy for potential thieves. My work is mostly silver, but still the supplies do add up, not to mention the finished stock.

Regarding photos, I do put a color photo on my card. My printer does 10 business cards on a sheet, with a different photo on each card. People have been known to pick through the cards to choose a photo they like. I select photos of pieces large enough to be visible.

There is still room for a brief list of services I provide, my name, cell phone and website. The back is open for notes.

Judy in Kansas, where the frigid temps are finally rising to above freezing! The birds flock to the heated water bowls.

Judy,

Ditto on working mostly in silver but just the term “jewelry” mentioned to the wrong person can elicit visions of diamond and gold and an easy score home invasion.

I keep a low profile and most of the neighbors know me as the neighborhood friendly old coot that gives polished rocks to the neighborhood kids.

I don’t list my home address or landline on my business card either.

Rick

Avoid putting your business on “Google Maps”. Even shipping via courier just write “wearing apparel”. Don’t brag & cause problems. My card just says now “teacher/instructor”.

Gerry! On my Teaching iPhone!

Morning All,
Ive been following this thread and wondered how or if its something I can contribute thereto.
Its really based on how you see your overall security. That depends on where you live and work.
Each therefore to their own.
Ive been in the same homestead here now for 44 yrs, at the end of a 1 mile dead end county lane in a remote country area. The nearest neibour is some 1 mile plus away. , then were some 1/4 mile off that down our own track. If someone wanted to find us in the dark, quite impossible, no street lights etc.
Day time were not visible either.
So for the 1st 35 yrs we didnt need a gate to our track till we had some , so they said! deer horn hunters wander in. This upset my better half,and the next week, I had installed a large steel gate at the track entrance, which is from that time, kept closed and padlocked at all times, even when were at home.
All this can only be a deterrent to a dedicated thief, but there are much more easy opportunities in rural UK, like quad bikes, small tractors, diesel fuel from bulk farm tanks and sheep/ livestock.
As I dont trade ? from here, just live and work, we see the risk as minimal, especially as were equipped with some pretty tough kit.
If youve never used a large farm tractor with a 2 ton front loader tip over a car in just 10 secs, and a back howe to dig then bury anything! , any entrant would have a very hard time getting anywhere near us.
Now to business cards, I only give them out personally, to someone who is genuinely interested in my work. no one else.Over the past year or so Ive given out maybe, 25? cards, with no indiscriminate laying out of cards on my display. My card does have my land line no and address which is quite vague. just the property name, post code, and the location which is quite vague as well. And the info bronzesmith and minter. Meaningless to most folk. Finally the is most times someone always here.
More trouble than its worth to most thieves.
We consider the risk to be quite minimal.
Ted.

I get great responses to my logo, so my business card is just my logo on the front, and my name, email address, and website on the back. You can find everything else you need from there. I give out several hundred per year- more if I do a really big holiday retail show. I order in the medium-grade paper stock.

I do think that on my next order, I will update the back with my Instagram account name as well. Though you can get there from my website, I have found many people don’t really care about websites anymore. They want to go straight to Instagram and even buy from there. But this is just how it is with my clientele, so like everyone else has said, make sure you know your customer and what appeals to them!

-Jenny