Settings suppliers

Hello folks,
Could you please leave a few names of companies that supply pre made settings? I did search settings suppliers but didn’t find anything useful. Thank you

PS
I’m new here. Im a Journeyman hobby silversmith looking to advance my skills & move into goldsmithing & more advanced stone setting techniques. I’ve been cutting my own stones for years. Mostly cabochons & and now a beginner at faceting

1 Like

Off the top of my head, I do know that Rio has them. If you’re purchasing gold, it has to be via a wholesale account.

1 Like

Welcome! Post some stone pics if it suits you. I’d love to see.

1 Like

Most premade settings still involve knowing how to set stones. I can’t tell from your post if you have any stone setting experience?

Like BethAnneF99963 said, Rio Grande is a good place to start though.

Best of luck!!

Jeff

Hello,

may i make a suggestion?…perhaps since you are new to learning silversmithing, you might enjoy the challenge and practice of fabricating and soldering your own settings, as well as learning how to set stones.

since you are cutting and faceting your own stones, this will afford you the flexibility to make settings to the specific measurements of your custom stones…

you can make basket settings using round wire…
you can make collet/ crown style settings using sheet strips
you can make bezel settings using both sheet and wire, or sjust sheet and cut a bearing seat with a bur

skills learned would include:

calculating metal lengths to fit stone circumferences

considering the side profile angles and spec measurements you desire, and how to achieve them

soldering practice on successive, multiple joints using multiple solders (hard, medium, easy)

learning to work with small components, problem solving “holding” challenges

filing to fit pieces together

binding/ holding workpieces for soldering

filing/ cleaning up/ finishing/ polishing small areas

preparing stone seats for setting (Prongs, bezels)

a great online resource for stone setting is jewellerytrainingsolutions.com.au

https://www.jewellerytrainingsolutions.com.au/

the all access pro monthly subscription, is about $40/ month
can cancel at any time

there are a few different skill level based subscriptions
culminating, each offering successively more advanced categories…

or you can purchase 12 month access to specific videos

also, YouTube has many free videos

try searching
peter keep/ jewellery training solutions
lucy walker jewelery training
melissa muir
andrew berry/ at the bench
nancy l t hamilton
rio grande

julie

julie

5 Likes

Yes I do have experience setting stones & have been silver soldering & making jewelry for sometime. I am now beginning more advanced setting Chanel settings, & bead settings ect. I would like to learn more intricate galleries as well. However it seems more practical to purchase pre made baskets ect.

Thankyou Julie, I’ll check it out. In a nutshell I didn’t fare very well after a recent hurricane & flood. What didn’t wash away was destroyed by salt water exposure. I considered giving up on jewelry fabrication. I however began rebuilding my shop. I had to purchase new everything from files, pliers, foredoms you name it. My bezel blocks were ruined by rust pitting inside the machined dies. I have a long way to go & would like to take the opportunity to build my skills better as well.

Thanks Jeff, I’ve been putting in orders through rio but have been having difficulties finding items I use to have before the flood. For example foredome mandrels that fit 1” cratex wheels. After buying several types I spoke with them & they sent me mini mat types but they do not work either. Also bezel mandrels like I use to have. It appears they are a different style offered now. It’s like learning all over again.

What category do stone pics belong in? I have recently been cutting many high quality turquoise & once I find new dops that I lost to the flood I will begin faceting again. I have some nice beryls I’m itching to work again.

1 Like

I am not sure what you mean by pre-made. There are some companies that sell what is basically a setting that you can “snap” stones into. I am not sure how well they work. For settings in general, and possibly the “snap” type, look at Stuller, Hoover and Strong, Rio, Fire Mountain and the list goes on. Take a tour of the internet and you will find many options…Rob

I’m not sure as I’m fairly new around here, but I’m guessing you could upload a few to this thread or start one the section for sharing jewelry pieces.

Why don’t you post some of your stones to this thread. It will help us figure out some sources for you.

Yes, those tool companies are sourcing things from different vendors all of the time, which is frustrating. You can always call them. I don’t know if Rio still has print catalogs? Their website is often hard for me to navigate. Their catalogs were always excellent.

So sorry to hear about you losing so much in the hurricane/flood!

Jeff

1 Like

Hi,

just stumbled onto this…I love Hans Meevis!

3 Likes

That’s awesome info. Thanks Julie!!

Jeff

I’ve been thinking about your dilemma with rusted tools. We’ve had numerous threads about keeping tools from rusting and removing rust.

My studio flooded one winter and I didn’t catch it for a bit. Lost of stuff rusted. Electrical tools, yes, those have to be replaced if they get soaked. With other steel tools, I’ve come to view the pits as texture. And truthfully, it’s not too hard to sand and polish them off of my jewelry if I want a polished surface.

I’ve learned to accept that rust is part of my life and to not go out of my way to fight it too much. I only keep a few tools like my planishing hammer and steel bench block shiny and perfect.

Now I understand that many will not agree with me about living with rusty tools and that’s fine, but before you spend a lot of money on new tools, consider living with what you are able to salvage for while and adapting. At least until you get back on your feet. Hopefully your home didn’t suffer too much damage!!

My favorite rust removing tool on flat surfaces is a random orbital sander. They’re not too expensive and do a great job. Plus, there are sanding discs with almost grit. I’d advise not using too coarse of a grit as those scratches will be very hard to remove. I don’t use coarser than 150 grit. Usually 220.

There’s lots of chemical solutions for removing rust. This video from Home Depot shows some low tech solutions.

Steve Frei, told me once that his grandfather, Otto Frei, (founder of the company) told him that the secret of keeping tools from rusting is to wrap them in a lightly oiled rag. That’s how I keep my bezel blocks and steel miter jig these days. (both of those have rusted often over the years, because of my carelessness)

One last thing, it’s in your favorite jewelry tool company’s best interest to help you get back to work. Feel free to ask for the sales manager of your favorite jewelry tool company and tell them the truth, that your studio was wrecked by a recent hurricane and flooding with salt water. No promises, but I’d be surprised if they don’t offer to help you in some way.

Keep us posted!!

Jeff

2 Likes

I did explain to Otto my situation that saltwater ruined most of my forming tools. While the flood waters had receded I was not allowed to return to my shop because of only allowing residents into the area & curfews. What I found upon returning was that drawers that I had my tools wrapped in rags were holding water.
I took advantage of a forming sale to replace forming mandrels & blocks, but at checkout I did not receive the discounts on many forming items. After calling I was informed that the whole of the discounts exceeded some total that at their discretion was not honored. I had to cancel the entire order & submit another for approval minus many tools.
Little by little​:crossed_fingers: I hope I can recover. At the moment I am able & am putting together rings & pendants reminiscent of VanCleef & Arpels simpler designs. I’ve converted my guest bedroom & it’s getting cramped quick but should suffice until I can build a shop on my property. I continue scouring used steam cleaners, rolling mills, casting equip. Which is the reason for the post on pre made settings. I’m finding the quality of new items are poor. An expensive set of new pliers were so poorly machined it was hard to even believe. Better days are coming :heartpulse:

1 Like

Oh man, what a mess!! Fingers crossed for you.

Jeff