Seat Check- green disclosure powder for stone setting, cutting seats

Hi,

I ordered some Seat Check- green disclosure powder spray…it seems to work very well for identifying high spots on setting seats…i like it!…thought i would share!

julie

2 Likes

I just use a black sharpie on the interior or bezels and prong settings as well as when I am making marks of any kind on shiny metal. When needing to measure the height of a seat I use a sharp pair of dividers to score through the blackness thus leaving a bright clean shiny mark where I want the girdle to be. It stands out beautifully against the black background. Once I start cutting the seat for the stone it helps show just how much metal I have removed for the seat below the girdle line. After cutting the seat I then re blacken the inside. I pick up the stone with some sticky wax, place it in the seat and then wiggle it a tiny bit. Where the metal shows through I need to remove more metal. I re blacken and repeat this until the seat is perfect. I also use the black sharpie trick when scribing on shiny sheet metal as well.

4 Likes

You beat me to it. I have sharpies all over my shop. They make an industrial grade that I use cutting stones because it stays on a bit longer under water. I am looking for a decent pair of dividers. The ones that I have were inherited a long time ago and I need to replace them. Suggestions are appreciated…Rob

3 Likes

Hi,

I like Starett dividers

I an kinda coveting these GRS dividers

julie

3 Likes

The GRS dividers look too thick and clumsy for stone setting. Plus they are ridiculously expensive. 2 and 1/2 times more expensive that the Starrett dividers

1 Like

Starett dividers are awesome, Rob! I’ve had a pair for over 10 years and they’re still strong.

1 Like