Sealant for copper jewelry

need a sealant so rings and bracelets dont turn skin green

1 Like

Protectaclear! I have copper pieces coated 5 yrs ago that are still looking great! Maintained the flame patina too!

1 Like

Does it leave a shiny finish? Or is there a matte option?

I have been using Everbrite Protectaclear on brass and copper and it seems to work well. Whatever finish is on the metal shows through well with a very slight gloss added by the coating. I don’t know how well it lasts since I just started using it six months ago. I suspect it depends on how the piece is worn. It is very easy to work with. Good luck…Rob

I’ve been using Protectaclear for years, and I’m very happy with it. There is a matte option, Protectaclear Satin.

1 Like

Hello
I’m interested in this topic
Is there someone who can talk about which Ptotectaclear is best to buy?
Is spray bottle better?
Thank you

I have never used the spray but I have used the liquid with great success. Brushing it on gives me control since I usually don’t coat the stones and it is self leveling.

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

I did a lot of actual trial and error research on sealants, and imho there is NO sealant made that doesn’t affect the colors… sure you get some color coming thru… but the iridescent blues are always muted a lot. Protecta clear is as good as any… you can “bake” it in the oven for quicker hardening. and… patinas like flame painting are just surface coating anyway… they can and will rub off eventually.

2 Likes

I used Protectaclear for some time on our work and ran into a odd problem. We were using steel wool to get a satin finish on our brass and turns out microscopic pieces of steel wool were embedded in the brass that would then get trapped under the protectaclear coating .Over time this would turn into small dark spots popping up all over the piece.

Be sure your pieces are thoroughly clean before coating! I was using the manufacturer suggested method of cleaning the pieces with alcohol before coating but still had the spots show up. Other than that it worked great at keeping the surface tarnish free!

2 Likes

I saw and old thread about Protectaclear! Have used it for several years on copper jewelry. If you have additional questions please contact me, especially using the oven to cure it rather than waiting several days for finished products.

Lary

2 Likes