Tips on using Radial Bristle Disks
While researching "Making the Most of Your Flex Shaft", I have had
some time to investigate 3M's Radial Bristle Disks.
A few tips I have learned are:
- Bristle disks like the company of others. They are lonely on
their own, so have a party! Invite their friends, 3-5 is a good
- High speeds - not slow. High speed is the key here. You want to
press your foot pedal about 3/4 to maximize their use.
- Delicate touch, no pressure. Are you hard with your tools? Does
your toothbrush bristles look like they are scattering in arcs to
points unknown? Ah, if so, you are a person that likes to put on the
pressure. Back off a bit. Alternatively, if you change your
toothbrush every six months because it has no wear or tear, a bit
more elbow grease will only help.
- Make sure they are lined up in the right direction. They should
all bend in a counter-clockwise direction.
- No bristles, no action. They do wear out...eventually, but it
certainly depends on how many bristles are left to do the job.
M E T A L W E R X
50 Guinan St.
Waltham, MA 02451
Ph. 781/891-3854 Fax 3857
Jewelry/Metalarts School & Cooperative Studio