Ringsize before casting & sanding

Hey guys!

I were wondering since I always grind and clean up inside the ring-shank after I cast to make it smooth… Is there like an “average” of say xx.xx mm you grind of in the procedure?

An exmaple, if i want a ring to be 19.50 mm internal diameter… Should I then on purpose make and design the diameter a bit smaller, perhaps 19.10 mm, because 0.40 mm is grinded / buffed / polished away in the process.

Havent really had major fitting issues, but perhaps others have come across the same thoughts before?

Best regards

You are taking about what size to make the wax before casting?

Hey! Yes exactly, sorry if it were a bit cryptic written! Thinking in the initial WAX or CAD designing phase!

Best regards

I deal with this a lot.
When I carve a wax, I make the finger size the correct size, or just a little bit bigger for gold or silver. When it’s going to be cast in platinum I make the wax at least a quarter size larger than the actual finish size. Platinum always comes out with a smaller finger size. Sometimes I have to grind out a half to 3/4 of a size to get back to the right size for platinum. So that’s why I make it larger.