Removing/hiding a scratch on metal

Hello
Unfortunately my tool slipped and made a clear scratch on the textured backplate. I’m trying to burnish by hand but not easy… how would you proceed ? Is there a chance to hide it?
Thank you very much!

You don’t appear to have set the stone. If not, you may have to do some normal damage control after moving the bezel that might affect that area. If you have a hammer tool or pneumatic engraver, you can use it to stipple the surrounding area. You can make a punch of some sort and shade the adjacent design into the damaged area. You can use a flexshaft burnishing tool. You can ignore it because I can’t see the damage in the picture. When I do this kind of thing and have been looking under magnification at the spot in question far too long, I walk away for at least 12 hours to include an overnight and then take a look in the naked light of day. Then I decide if I need to do something. Good luck…Rob

9 Likes

Hi Robert! Yes the stone isn’t set yet. I did as you said and “slept over it” but this morning it still strikes me - a little defect but which might be more visible with a patina…
Good idea, I will try with my flex shaft to hammer over it.
Thank you very much for this helpful idea!

I see your problem now. You might consider making all the other marks look like or look as similar as possible to the one you are trying to correct. This could be done using some of the ideas suggested in my previous post. Good luck…Rob

2 Likes

Thank you very much Rob! I used your tip and it worked! I did my best at restoring the texture and will post it once finished! Now I’m going to patina it and then set the stone :pray::ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

Here it is. The mishap practically disappeared! Thank you very much again Rob! It’s not the first time you help thanks to your great experience!

9 Likes

That looks great! Glad I could help…Rob

1 Like