Relocating to NC

My wife and I are looking at relocating to the Durham/Chapel Hill area from Santa Fe. Was wondering if anyone could provide some info about the meatlasmithing/jewelry community in general and regarding possibility of renting studio space in that area.

Thanks.

Hi James, I own a retail jewelry design studio in Durham, just north of Chapel Hill. Durham is a wonderful town, the climate is awesome and the artistic community is extraordinarily strong. Send me a PM if you would like to discuss anything in particular. I have a feeling that the answers to your questions could be a little too broad a subject to discuss in this forum.

Dave

We just moved to Durham from FL! I haven’t visited these studios that I’ve found yet, but there is OQZO Metalsmith in Hillsborough, Liberty Arts downtown, James Carter Studio in Carrboro, and NC State Craft Center.

I agree with Dave, this area has such a strong artist community, it’s great!

One of the people at Liberty Arts actually works for me part time. Welcome to Durham! Stop in sometime for a visit. John David Jewelers, on University near MLK Blvd.

Welcome. My wife and I made the transition to Durham in September (from Santa Fe). Its been great. While I don’t work with David, I am an artist at Liberty Arts and work in the studio next to his employee ( a jeweler with mad skills). Stop by when you get a chance.
There is another cooperative/shared space you might look at, Golden Bell - I have no details. Please contact me atinfo@jijcohenmetals.nety with any other Qs.
Welscome to town.