Regarding onglette gravers and stone setting

Here I’m using a soft artistic pencil to make the #1,000 grit paper to make it softer to now a #1,200 paper!

For instance, a #800 paper will be now #1,000 grit.

Here is my variety of gravers either Onglette and Flat blades.

Here is another assortment of long & short gravers. All of them are basically the same length, once they are in a handle.

This is angle I use, can you tell me what angle the graver is?
Is it a 45 or a 50 degrees? Excuse me, the angle is somewhere “between vertical and horizontal”… Nuf said!

Can you count 14 polishing paper sticks. Who needs those polishing wheels costing all kinds of dollars. These sticks were bought in a paint store for only $2.25 EACH.
They are actually paint-stirrer wooden sticks as some of them are…48 year’s OLD! Circa 1974!
image6.jpeg
Here are my favourite Onglette gravers.

Which do you prefer to use?

“Gerry, on my iPhone”

1 Like

Hi,
I have been struggling with using a yellow diamond bond polisher wheel, in a flex shaft, to polish the heel of onglette gravers

today, I had an epiphany and came up with a solution that is working well, so I thought I would share it here, as it somewhat relates to my previous comments, as well as to the GRS video posted above…and may be of interest to someone

I am sure I should have thought of it sooner, but alas, I did not…(sigh)…

Basically, I mounted my flex shaft in a flex shaft holder, facing up (I had to put the motor on the floor to avoid kinking the shaft)

My flex shaft motor has both forward and reverse mode, so I do not have to reverse my hold/ positioning of the graver (by as much) to keep the tip oriented in the proper direction, relative to the direction the wheel is spinning)

Ultimately this allows me more stability, and a clearer view of what I am doing, without having to hold/ control the handpiece.

Oh happy day!

a good heel is so wonderful

Julie