Rectifiers

I am thinking about getting into plating, electroforming and reactive metal work. They all require a rectifier with different voltage and amperage ranges. Can anyone recommend a rectifier that will cover all three possible uses? Thanks…Rob

2 Likes

Rob
Look for one that goes to the max amps you need. I have several in my shop. Biggest goes to 50 amp.In the past I have plated hundreds of my brass models with heavy gold electroplate. Took cyanide solutions and a special ampere minute meter to regulate thickness. Got out of it due to environmental aspects. Lots of rectifiers on ebay for $50 to $75. You have to search “rectifier dc power supply electro plating” to narrow it down or you get several thousand entries related to other stuff like radio electronics.
Dave

2 Likes

Platers and electroformers use high amperage, low volts. Anodizers (for Niobium, Titanium, Tantalum, NOT Aluminum) are high voltage, low amperage. To find a model that includes both is usually expensive unless you are handy electronically and can build your own.

3 Likes

So it looks like I buy two rectifiers. You have one on your site that does 0-100 V 0-7 A. Can you send me the particulars via private message? Thanks…Rob

just out of curiosity: can a 12V battery charger with different amperage settings be used to electroplate or electro-refine precious metals or is the voltage too high?..the redox potentials for silver, copper are pretty low… less than a volt and for gold +3, less than 1.6V…the electrical resistance of an electrolyte solution also has to be taken into account, but I think it’s fairly negligible.

Hi Rob, a friend of mine a watchmaker was experimenting with small electroforming of sensitised insects. He was getting good results from his handiwork with two wires coming out of a transistor radio “just saying”?

I know that all you need is a DC source, which a battery would be and maybe that’s the way to start. You can buy fairly inexpensive starter kits that don’t include the power supply. I have learned that the success of the process, or at least its repeatability, is dependent on having control over the amperage since you need .1 amp per square inch of electroformed area. This would take a bit of electronic work that I am willing to buy rather than make so that I can get on with electroforming. I don’t need another hobby and building my own power supply would lead to that. I am also interested in electroforming metals other than copper. Thanks to all for the great input…Rob

Hi Rob,

“ohhh electroforming!…i wanna play too!”

i saw this article…

it mentioned this website…

julie

Hi Rob,

i an in the rabbit hole now…:joy:…so interesting!

found this ganoksin article!…just learned about electroforming over wax models!!!…another mystery about hollow lightweight jewelry revealed!!!

julie

more on that…”someone! help! I’m down here”…

julie

Julie…It is a bit fascinating. I have looked at the Sheri Haab website as well as the Enchanted Leaves one. I especially like what I see at Enchanted Leaves. Right now my practical challenge is to find or build a rectifier that will allow me to do both electroforming and coloring reactive metals. Together, it will require a DC power supply that will produce 0-120 VDC and 0-5 ADC. I may have to buy two separate power supplies as the combo is very expensive. This is a work in process and I will report out what I come up with when I have something to report. Thanks for your research and please pass on anything new that you find…Rob

1 Like

…then there anodizing gopher hole…it is RiGhT next to the electroforming rabbit hole…i tried not to fall in, but…i tripped on a clump of mondo grass…and here i am!

julie

sooo interesting!…

Enchanted Leaves

julie

Ishor do not have a very good reputation in Precious metal refining.
For jewelry making I have no idea.

Unfortunately, this controller is out of stock. Waiting to hear when they will be available.

Hi,

ok, good to know!

I just found the process interesting…although it also sounds like working with gold can be chemical intensive…

julie

They contribute to our discussions from time to time. Take a look at their catalog, it is fascinating…Rob

I play with electronics a bit. I have at least 5 power rectifiers (as well as battery chargers). First, let me say that the units from Reactive Metals are easy to use and it is a great company. I buy stuff from them from time to time, they have a vast knowledge that they are willing to share, never disappointed. I took a workshop frim Bill Sealy many years ago. With that being said, I think there are some home brew units that are easy and cost effective, A good all around unit with a big voltage range is an isolated power auto transformer like a "Variac or Powerstat’ that has built in isolation transformer or an add on one. Mine gives me 0-120 volts at 10 amps. You need to add a simple bridge rectifier and perhaps a capacitor to smooth out the voltage, but you need to monitor the voltage and amperage manually. A couple of my more range limited supplies will automatically control voltage or amperage for better results in a more limited range of V/A. I added a series light bulb to the input of my auto transformer to prevent big fuse blowing shorts. I can short the output and all that happens is that the bulb lights up to limit the power.
marlin

1 Like

Marlin…Thanks for your suggestions. When I was younger, I might go ahead and make my own power supply. I studied Electrical Technologies years ago and am confident that I could. I also like making my own tools. At 73 I don’t need any more obsessions. I usually have two new ones going at any one time and electroforming and reactive metals are currently at the top of the pile so I will just buy one from Reactive Metals. It is on order and I will report out how it works when I know more about it. It will probably also have the capacity to do some smaller electroforming projects. You only need .1 amp/square inch of conductive paint. If not, I may make one for that obsession. Thanks again…Rob