Radial bristle discs For flex shaft

Hi Jewellers
The 3M Radial discs are very expensive compared with the knockoffs. Are they that much better?

1 Like

I can’t speak to the Asian knockoffs, but about five years ago I purchased a full set of the Dedeco Sunburst radial discs and regretted it. At first, they seemed to work fairly well, not quite as well as the 3M discs, but I was reasonably happy. The real problem was that they had a shelf life and after a year or so they started breaking up when I tried to use them. I ended up throwing them all in the trash. Unless you go through radial discs at a fast pace I would recommend sticking with the 3M radial discs. I will never buy anything else after that experience.

3 Likes

Oh interesting, I like the dedeco ones. I like the knife edge ones and the thicker bristle ones too. To each their own I guess! I’m gonna order some of the pointes cones next to help polishing some difficult spots.

1 Like

Tell us what you do with them. There may be another way to get the same results. I have them, but use them rarely. Most of my heavy surface modification is done with rubber abrasive wheels. They can be turned into just about any shape that you need with an old file…Rob

2 Likes

Than you Melissapru that’s very helpful.

I use them to sand and pre polish small pieces that are hard to get at with sandpaper.

1 Like

Hi Rob,

I would say that they are useful when you need a tool that conforms around details, much the same was as bristle nrudhes…

julie

1 Like

I have said many times, there is no one right way, there is the way that works for you. I have tried 3M discs and use them once in a while. For me, a conforming abrasive wheel works and is a lot less expensive…Rob

A lot of people don’t realize that the rubberized radial bristle brushes come from animal hair bristle brushes. These brushes are designed to work similarly to cotton buffs and buffing compound. The animal hair bristle brushes can get into crevices and tight places that cotton or felt buffs often can’t.

I went to a presentation years ago that 3m gave about their products for jewelry industry. They said that the 3M radial bristle brushes are part of 3M’s products for the metal finishing industry. 3M saw a need and scaled them down to to fit the jewelry industry. When they first came out folks were amazed by how one could get into tight places without the need of buffing compound. When you follow the entire sequence of progressively finer grits by the time you get to end you can get a decent shine. Not as good as a rouge wheel shine, but pretty good.

Recently, I spoke with a friend who works at a jewelry tool company. My friend said that 3M lost its patent on the radial bristle brushes and that’s why other companies are making them now.

I’ve found that bristle brushes (rubber or animal hair) are really good for finishing around prongs. That’s my favorite use for them. Like Rob said there are often multiple ways to accomplish the same thing.

Like as was mentioned, I have found that the Deduco ones have gone brittle after a while. But before that happens though they work well. At least for me.

Hope that helps a little bit!

Jeff

4 Likes

I have a number of mounted animal hair brushes in different levels of stiffness. I use them with tripoli and rouge. They are a bit difficult to clean up from and, if you aren’t careful, you can dig a small trench into a flat surface with them. Likewise for large round brushes that you can mount on your polishing spindle. I think that I remember a post by one of the Patania’s where he indicated that they use spindle mounted brushes a lot in their finishing work. They all have their place in my shop…Rob

3 Likes

Maybe I’ll try my own hair next! Could be the perfect thing :melting_face:

1 Like

So- I just wanted to know if the 3M are superior to other brands available on Amazon.
Only one person answered my question!!

1 Like

It resulted in a good and informative discussion, so that I consider a good outcome.

4 Likes

That’s not a bad thing. You got your questions answered and a lot of people who may have had similar questions, but were too shy or unsure of themselves to ask, got their questions answered too. …Rob

2 Likes

Sorry about that!

To be more concise. I’ve only ever used 3M and Dedeco radial bristle brushes. Like was mentioned by melissapru, I found that the Dedeco brushes worked fine, but they got brittle within a year and fell apart. The 3M brushes have never fallen apart.

I’m still happy that I bought the Dedeco brushes, because they were so much less expensive. I just would make sure in the future that I only buy what I need and not plan on storing them for extended periods.

I can’t speak to all of the Amazon brands, just the two that I mentioned.

Thanks!!

Jeff

4 Likes

Yes thank you! I did learn more than I expected.
:grinning:

1 Like

Good job steering the conversation back on topic, sometimes it wanders!! I like the dedeco and buy them regularly.

1 Like

I agree about the ability of rubber discs to be modified into different shapes. Instead of an old file I use diamond tools. Different size core drills can make your wheel dead flat or knife edge. I have several different diameter core drills. I also have a coarse flat diamond “file”. About 3"X1/2" works great.

I keep a diamond disc on a magnet near my bench and use it to make a flat edge, knife edge, or round cylinder point on rubber abrasive wheels.

1 Like

I have both of the others but had no idea about the hair ones. Ive never touched them because they seemed useless. Gonna have to revisit.

1 Like