Yes that’s quite normal, unburnt propane is a dangerous gas, and
care should be taken when using it.
The smell is added to tell you that there’s a leak, the smell is not
what made you fell sick.
The other week my teacher was demonstrating how a propane bottle
sounded when the gas was released. I was outside at the time, and
standing in the wrong spot, because I got a whiff of gas.
Dizzy, almost passed out, headache and nausea after.
Just take care with your gasses, work in a well ventillated area,
and make sure your hose connections are sound.
Regards Charles from Oz