Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Propane allergy


#1

I have recently upgraded to a torch with oxygen/propane tanks, and in
the process of setting up, upon exposure to a propane leak had a
significant reaction to the smell of the propane, headache, nausea,
dizziness. This took a day to subside, and I have left the equipment
now for about a month. Yesterday I had a very very slight whiff of
propane from a small tank, and had as severe a reaction again. Has
anyone out there experienced this? any idea of what might be
happening here. I am worried about the outlay for equipment, oxygen
tank/regulators/flashback/little torch/ and the not being able to
use it, or continue working with the silversmithing I do as a hobby.
rosemary


#2

Hi Rosemary,

Yes that’s quite normal, unburnt propane is a dangerous gas, and
care should be taken when using it.

The smell is added to tell you that there’s a leak, the smell is not
what made you fell sick.

The other week my teacher was demonstrating how a propane bottle
sounded when the gas was released. I was outside at the time, and
standing in the wrong spot, because I got a whiff of gas.

Dizzy, almost passed out, headache and nausea after.

Just take care with your gasses, work in a well ventillated area,
and make sure your hose connections are sound.

Regards Charles from Oz


#3

Yeah, propane has no smell (scent) and has an additive in it to make
it stink bad! Try not to sniff it & if you do, oxygen is handy!