Hello, I have an insane problem. I am using nitric acid (74-75%) to
etch copper for later enamelling, there is no problem.
Today I put pieces of fine silver in the acid - nothing happens. The
acid does not attack the silver, there is no action and after an hour
the solution turns bleak green, not blue. I put a little piece of
copper in the acid to check if it is okay. It attacks it immediately.
I have no experience with etching fine silver, what am I doing wrong?
I read somewhere about someone putting his fine silver on a sheet of
titanium and sending an electrical current through the acid, but I do
not think that this is necessary. I also read that it is necessary to
dilute the nitric (some say 2 parts of water and one part of nitric,
others mention 3 parts of water and one part of nitric). I poured
some cooking water in the solution (yes, I know), but there is still
no action. What is going on?