Preserving copper and bronze

I have tried sprays and brushes coatings to keep copper and bronze from tarnishing, but it always looks like there is a cloudy coating that dims the surface. Renaissance wax seems like the best option, but l don’t think it lasts very long. My jewelry is very geometric and modern and doesn’t work aesthetically with aged metal. Any suggestions?

I’ve heard of some bronze pieces being coated with clear lacquer. Mostly statues and bells though :slight_smile:

I am trying out EverBrite Protecta Clear right now on copper and brass. Seem to be working.

https://www.everbritecoatings.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=34

1 Like

Thanks rmeixner.
l ordered the Everbrite.

I have a friend who specializes in Copper and Brass jewelry. He finds the ProtectaClear works very well. His customers seem mixed on the appearance so he uses it only on some of his work and on request. He uses it more often on the inside where it comes in contact with the skin to limit “greening”.

Don

I bought a clear lacquer from jewelry supplier and used it with all my brass jewelry decades ago. Looked at pieces recently and they still look good…will take more boxes of these earrings in storage and take pictures and post. I suppose one could dissolve the lacquer off with thinner, re-polish and re-lacquer…nothing lasts forever regarding base metals. Merely a brief moment in time with copper but brass is a bit more everlasting and sturdy

I have found bowling alley wax a great protector on metals and glass.

2 Likes

I don’t like to use any type of coating on any of my jewelry because it doesn’t look natural.

Then don’t use it…Rob

1 Like

I currently use Sculpt Noveau’s Clear Guard. I work in copper and the gloss looks a bit off with my more rustic styles, but the satin is identical to my hand rubbed satin finish prior to coating. The coating has never changed color nor does it seem to affect the color of any applied patina. Two years ago, I made a fold-formed pendant with a very heavy patina build up on copper using salt and ammonia fuming. It took weeks for the coating to form the look I wanted. After careful cleaning, I sealed it with multiple applications of Clear Guard then let it cure and tested it. I have worn that pendant for days at work with the loss of only a few tiny flakes of the patina, and the intense blue color remains the same. I will say, that even after multiple coats the copper seems to manage to continue to darken somewhat, but copper will be copper. Others seem to have the same results with EverBrite and I might try it sometime for comparison.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind professional response, Rob. Isn’t your reply rather redundant? After being a metalsmith for decades, I have made a personal decision not to use coatings. Lighten up, Rob. It’s OK if someone has a different opinion.

Thank you for your kind professional response, Rob. However, isn’t it rather redundant? I’ve been a metalsmith for decades and have made a personal choice for my own style of jewelry. Lighten up, Rob.

Will do…Rob

Sorry for my abrupt replies. I have been babysitting grandkids and easily get distracted by them and not finishing my posts. I meant to ask more about your desire for a natural look to your finish. I too have always taken that position, but have been impressed with the finish preservation that I can get with Everbrite on copper and brass. I doubt that I would ever use it on sterling with the possible exception of the inside surface of a rings if someone complains about “green finger”. Thanks…Rob

1 Like