Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Practice Welding

This set gave me a chance to practice welding something other than jump rings. I welded the front lentil piece to the back for the earrings and pendant. I didn’t think I could set the stone after assembling, so I set the stones and then welded. I think they turned out quite nice and it was fun get more use out of my welder.

2 Likes

Which welding technique?
My primary choice is the laser, but @ 90% of what I do on the laser could be done with pulse arc.

I have an orion mpulse. So yes, pulse arc welding.

2 Likes

Excellent work! :slight_smile:

Wow!!! Really beautiful! I would love to learn more about this technique. I guess the main advantage is no heat so joints can be done with stones in place? Your work is impeccable!

Thank you. I literally held the pieces together with my fingers right next to where I was welding to make sure they were aligned properly. No heat risk at all to the stones. I am excited to dream up more designs where I can take advantage of this.

So you have an orion mpulse 30? I just watched a video and it looks so easy. I am going to research them right now. I did before, but only came up with the expensive ones with the microscope and computer, which is way beyond my needs. Thanks for posting!

Janet

I have had a very expensive PUK 5.1 for over year and have yet to be able use it to make a piece of jewelry. I do a lot of repair, jump rings and have figured out a way to use it to make great rivets, but welding a seam that I can live with is another story. Good job…Rob

A few years ago I attended a bench jeweler’s seminar at Stuller. I got a chance to do a short class on the pulse arc, and then “play” with a couple of the machines.
With 2 factory reps watching over my shoulder and offering advice on settings I might try, I was able to successfuly “rechannel” an opal inlaid, Sterling Silver ring, without damaging the Opal.
With now @30 years of experience using the laser, I adapted my techniques to this technology pretty quickly.
If I had no laser, I would certainly purchase a pulse arc welder

When I bought the PUK, I intended to find some training on it. Right after I bought it, Covid happened. I need to start looking again…Rob