I got these exercises off a needle arts newsletter. I've done the
second one for years and it helps.
Shoulder Blade Squeeze
This one really helped me to relax my shoulders. I know that my
shoulders creep up towards my ears during the day. So, the first
thing you do is sit up straight in your chair and drop your
shoulders. I was surprised how far I could get them to drop!! Now
squeeze your shoulder blades together and hold for 3 seconds then
relax. Slowly do this 10 times. As you strengthen your shoulder
muscles you can increase the hold to 10 seconds, with 10 repetitions.
Once that is comfortable for you, do a couple of 10-second sets a
Tranquility has a great neck stretch routine.
"There are six ranges of motion of the neck. For best results, you
should stretch your neck in all six ranges for 10-15 seconds, but if
you are in a hurry, just stretch the ranges that are painful or
tight! To begin, sit with good posture in your chair. Reach and hold
the seat of the chair with your hands.
- Neck Flexion (Chin to Chest) - Slowly begin to lower you neck down
by lower your chin down to your check and hold for 10-15 seconds.
- Neck Extension (Lean your head back) - Lower your head back as far
as you can.
- Right Lateral Flexion (Ear to Shoulder) " Lower your right
eartowards your right shoulder.
- Left Lateral Flexion (Ear to Shoulder) " Lower your left ear
towards your left shoulder.
- Right Rotation (Chin to Shoulder) - Slowly turn your head to the
right. Your chin with be close to your right shoulder.
- Left Rotation (Chin to Shoulder) " Slowly turn your head to the
Your chin with be close to your left shoulder."