Portable oxygen concentrator

Hi everyone,
I have a chance to be given this portable oxygen concentrator. I know nothing about these, except I have read here that they could be used in place of the O2 tank. I have a smith little torch. Would this one produce enough oxygen? How does one set it up? Any helpful advice would be much appreciated. I don’t want to get it if it would not work
Thanks
Marilyn

1 Like

Hi Marilyn,
I looked at the published specs for this model portable O2 concentrator and found that it produces a maximum of 0.63 lpm (liters per minute) of oxygen. Contrast this with the 5 lpm of most of the plug-in concentrators that jewelers, including me and Rob Meixner, have been using. Then look at the prices…a used, refurbished plug-in can be had for about $350…that’s what I paid a month ago when my first concentrator bit the dust after many years of mainly being inactive. You might find a used one from a private party for less than that…these things are virtually bullet proof if they are used regularly and will go about 10,000 hour trouble free. If you solder for 4 hours a day, that is still almost seven years, and who solders 4 hours a day? While 0.63 lpm might make a flame on a Little Torch, it is far less than that torch would require for larger work. Considering that some of the glass workers are using a 10 lpm concentrator for their larger-flame work, I wouldn’t go with less than the 5 lpm model. I get quite a big enough flame from mine to melt an ounce or more of silver…HTH, royjohn

3 Likes

Hi Royjohn,
You answered my questions. Thank you. Yes it would have been a freebie, but I was concerned about the amount of O2 it generated. So I will pass on this. Boy! Those little ones are really pricy!
Thanks

Marilyn, You might want to check with Rio Grande. I purchased one from them and it was a lot cheaper. I believe they actually modify them the get a higher oxygen output from them.

1 Like

I purchased a refurbished 5l unit via Craigslist from a person who does certified repair and purchases used lots for resale. $250, plus no shipping.

Pam

1 Like

A portable O2 concentrator will not work for jewelry making. The oxygen is distributed in pulses, not in an even continous stream. Portable oncentrators like the one in the above ad will only give a short puff when it recognize inhalation.
For jewelry making you will need a “continous air” concentrator. Most will produce up to 5 liters per minute and from what I have read, that is enough. You can get some that are 10 liters or more.
I have not used a concentrator for jewelry making myself - but I have a 5 liter one that I use 24/7 to stay alive, (thanks to many years of cigarettes)

3 Likes

Hi Jetsens,
Thank you for your info. So it pulses. My friend who was going to give it to me mentioned something about only giving O2 when a breath is taken. I will tell her no and she can sell it for a chunk of money. No, I am too nice to take it and re sell it myself.
Thanks
Marilyn

See if you can find a local refurbisher of O2 generators. You will need at least a 5LPM machine (continuous flow). My last one cost me about $250 with a one year warranty. They are heavy, so you will pay a lot for freight if you buy them new from one of the usual places. I have been very happy with my setup. It runs my Meco and Little Torch allowing me to solder heavy 8 gauge round wire bracelets and do up to 50 gram melts in less than 2 minutes. The best part is no high pressure tanks in the shop. My propane is 1 lb. camp stove refillable cylinders. You can see my setup at the shop shots page of my website: www.robmeixner.com…Rob

2 Likes

I’m going to disagree a little bit with Rob I didn’t find the shipping to be prohibitive. Like Pam I bought mine off Craig’s list from a guy who refurbishes for a living. He was in OH I’m in WI. I used this guy bc an OH friend used him. I believe it was 30 or 35 in shipping. All totaled I recounted my cost (vs disp oxy) in about 6 mos

Shipping is shipping. If you can find one with acceptable shipping charges, go for it. I am commenting more on the cost of the equipment and shipping from the typical big suppliers.