Please help -how to solder with jasper stone inside the bezel

Hi guys,

I need some urgent advice on soldering with the stone inside. I am making a wedding present and trying to create two items as identical as possible to each other. The first one I did ok but I am at my third attempt at the second one (the stone chipping didn’t help). I made the stupid mistake to listen to an audiobook whilst working and pushed the stone all the way in before I attach the bit that the chain will go through. I am an idiot and am so mad at myself right now. I actually don’t mind if the two look exactly the same, as long as I can finish it. The stone is Jasper, just for info. I have never soldered anything with the stone inside. Don’t even know if it’s possible.
Anyone please have any advice or suggestion? Can I attach to the bezel something that the chain will go through, even if it’s just a jump ring without damaging the stone? Can you even pickle with the stone inside?

Please, please someone help?

Mila

Drill a small hole in the back and push the stone out. In the future put a strand of dental floss across the setting before pushing the stone in place. You can then remove the stone.

1 Like

Thank you for suggesting this but I don’t think the stone will survive the attempt to take it out -it already chipped about 3-4 mm from the end (the previous time I tried to fit it into the bezel) and the bezel is extremely tight fit. I am hoping there is a way to sweat solder but protecting the stone at the same time.

Thank you for your suggestion though- I really appreciate you stopping to help!

Mila

Quartzes will not take the heat of soldering. In a design like this you can’t even isolate the stone from the flame, as you can when sizing a ring. Your best bet is to remove the stone.
If you don’t think pushing from the back is safe you can try pulling from the front.
Use super glue to adhere a pull stick of some kind to the front. Make the area that it touches large, so that the force is distributed over most of the stone. As the stone is tight in the setting, once the glue has dried run a neutral lubricant, like mineral oil, between the stone and the silver.
Once you have freed the stone a quick soak in acetone will dissolve the glue, and acetone will also clean up the oil from the stone and setting.
However, if the stone is chemically treated in some way, with a colorant or surface finish, the acetone may damage that. So it’s a gamble.

3 Likes

Per the previous posts, all good advice. You have to take it out. File the head of a nail flat and super glue it to the stone to pull it out of the bezel. The floss trick is a good idea, but too late. For me, this is not just advice, but wisdom learned from experience. In the zeal to see what something will look like, you can push the stone in only to find that it is stuck and you need to do more solder work. I did this recently with a soft stone and actually pulled the top polished layer off pulling it out of the setting. Luckily, I was able to re-polish the stone. Good luck…Rob

3 Likes

I did something like once,but it was a pink gold bezel with an impossible to replace sardonyx cameo. I ended up cutting the bezel open and making a new one. After that,I used the dental floss trick or lightly oiled the inside,or designed it with an open back.
Now if you know someone with a laser welder,they might be able to attach your bale that way. If not,try the previous suggestions,or if time permits,maybe just make a new one.

1 Like

Thank you for your replies - just a quick update to say, that as you’ve suggested, getting out the stone was the best bet. Only that I couldn’t and learnt an expensive lesson. Now I have 15 days to receive a replacement stone and try not to make that mistake again :). Lessons…

P.S. A well cooked Jasper stone is nothing to write home about :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly this topic makes me nervous. If it qere me id remove stone. Construct what needs to be constructed, then set the stone. These are gorgeous btw . my compliments to the chef.
Aaron

1 Like

As also suggested by a previous post, you could look for someone with a laser or pulse arc welder. Good luck…Rob

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

Mila

Hi Rob,

Unfortunately the stone died on the operating table, and hopefully there wont be next time as I plan to be a quick learner :slight_smile:
Mila

1 Like

It is a lovely piece,BTW. As you can see from my profile pic,I am a fan of moon themes too!

1 Like

Thanks, it’s a hard shape to work with but yes, moons rock :slight_smile:

Mila

We tend tp learn the best from mistakes that cost us.
Aaron

1 Like

Another trick is to keep a ball of wax made especially for removing stones from bezels If the bezel is not too tight the stone will lift out. If you can’t find this wax use wax from a wheel of cheese. Lovely work btw

1 Like

Thanks for that idea -there is always cheese in the house. :). And thanks for saying that my work is lovely -I am so new and everything is an up hill learning curve :slight_smile:
Mila

I use museum wax to remove “loose” stones from a bezel if they stick just a bit. I keep a little piece stuck to the edge of a shelf just above the place on my bench where I might be getting a stone stuck. It’s intended purpose is to help you secure something in a position to display or photograph it. It comes in little bricks. You break off a small piece, work it in your fingers to make it soft and off you go. I think that you can find it on Amazon or in a big craft store like Michaels.

1 Like

For being new i am doubly impressed. Even with the issues. Ive had a couple ooopsies here and there. It happens. We learn from those Eh?
Aaron

1 Like

Thanks for that -I will look for it. I’ve not been able to find dental floss strong enough to use for stone removing purposes so any other alternative is really welcome. :slight_smile:

Mila

Thanks for the encouragement Aaron! I do forget that I’ve been doing this for less than 6 months and tend to look at the errors much more than the successes. Need to learn not to take it too much to heart -mess up, move on :slight_smile: . And I hope that I do indeed learn, otherwise it will be expensive in the long run :joy:

Mila