Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Plating on Brass / Sterling Silver Jewelry

We are manufacturing brass and Sterling silver jewelry.
Currently we are silver plating it to give a base coat, then gold plating and finally giving an ecoat using Axalta’s lacquer.

1. One of the major concern is that what base coat should we use on brass to prevent tarnish.
  2. My jewelry surface have metal porosity issues most of the time, which later on create a trouble as they form bubbles and white spots on the surface.
  3. we are using lacquer with 10-11 degrees preparation and then ecoat it for 10 seconds on 30 volts and then cure it in a kiln for 30 minutes at 130 degrees. This doesnt looks sufficient to me as usually it is suggested to ecoat for atleast 40-45 seconts at 40-60 volts for getting optimum results. but when i try doing that the piece becomes completely dull and is full of bubbles.
  4. after a few uses the piece start peeling off a layer of coat which should not happen.

Looking for an advise.
Gautam Lunia
Lunias Gemco
luniasgemco@gmai.com

If you’re plating the pcs. and the quality of the casting is creating problems, you’ll never solve the problem. In my opinion the casting problem must be solved first or the problem will always be there.

Maybe the question should be “ how can I improve the quality of my casting?”

I second your thoughts. But so far we have realized, that the minor porosity problems are unavoidable with metals. Although we hammer it and get it repaired to the extent possible.