Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Pickling on soldering table


#1

Was: Soldering with Propane torch in the house

Thanks Vicky (and everyone), this has been helpful, and I feel
reassured. I’m really glad I came across Orchid! Now…about the
pickle solution…the guy told me to put a spoonfull in the small
crock-pot: is this correct? Ans is it safe to keep the crock pot on
the soldering table (space is limited), or could this explode as
well?

Thanks Cecile


#2

Hello Cecile,

You asked about mixing pickle. Exact measurement is not critical.
Just add pickle to warm water until it will not dissolve any more (a
saturated solution), but a weaker solution also works. It just takes
longer. The same applies to citric acid, pH Down, or whatever
variety of Sodium bisulfate you are using. (I’ve not used any other
pickle.) Hot pickle works more quickly than room temperature pickle.

Your pickle pot will not explode. It will splatter if you drop a
very hot piece of metal in it, but that’s not exploding. If some
pickle gets on your clothing, it may cause some holes, so wear a
protective apron.

Keep asking questions and have fun, Judy in Kansas, where spring is
definitely in the air - I think I’ll bring in some forsythia and red
bud branches to force. Gorgeous!

Judy M. Willingham, R.S.


#3

As far as the potential hazards of your pickle solution, it depends
on what you are using as a pickle. Sulphuric acid pickle is
obviously corrosive and care must be taken to avoid splashing onto
skin, clothing, etc and inhaling vapour/fumes. It will NOT explode.
Sodium bisulphite (or Sparex 2) is less hazardous, ie. less corrosive
but again will NOT explode.

Citric acid is again less corrosive and will NOT explode but takes
longer to remove oxides.

Any chemical you use should be checked out as to its hazards by
consulting and keeping copies of MSDS sheets.

Helen
UK


#4

This may be obvious to many.

Just a comment about Sulphuric acid. Always add acid gradually to
water when diluting. NEVER the other way round, this does run the
risk of explosion!

It is also a good idea to keep acid covered up at all times (except
when being used). This does reduce the risk of corroded tools.

Richard Whitehouse
www.richard-whitehouse.co.uk