Parrots and metal smithing

I live in a town home that has an attached garage on the first floor… second floor is the living room and third floor are the bedrooms. My parrots are on the second floor and my jewelry room is above that on the third floor. The jewelry room has one sliding window and I have a fan facing the window blowing out and a Quattro gold vacuum. I Only use citric acid as my pickle or penny brite. I want to see if anyone has experience with working with parrots in their house as they have very sensitive respiratory systems. I have really limited the work I do because I am anxious about what could happen to them. Does anyone have any experience or advice? I rent my townhome so I can’t do any renovations for better ventilation. Also, was thinking about putting a bench in my attached garage to do some enameling and any feedback would be great. I just want to do what I love and keep my parrots safe.

( *I stopped using my smith torch and use a max flame butane torch now

• jool tool with vacuum attached as well
  • foredom hood And fish bowl attachment and the vacuum attached to the back)
1 Like

I wish I could help but I don’t know anything about birds other than the fact that their health tends to be quite fragile, hence your question. The only thing that occurred to me was trying to make sure the door of your studio seals reasonably well- a draft guard at the bottom, etc. That way you’re limiting what escapes into the rest of the house.

I do need to enforce the Pet Tax, though. It is a rule of the internet that if you mention pets you need to post a photo so we can all go AWWWWWW!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for responding and I love the pet tax here are my Fids ( feathered kids)

6 Likes

Awwwwww!

Citric acid is a weak organic acid that has the molecular formula C₆H₈O₇. It occurs naturally in citrus fruits. In biochemistry, it is an intermediate in the citric acid cycle, which occurs in the metabolism of all aerobic organisms. More than two million tons of citric acid are manufactured every year. see Wikipedia.
So, as long as there are not vast amounts in the air, which there should not be.
I would be more, but only very slightly concerned with other dust raised during cleaning etc. so just good dust hygine.

Thank you sooo much for your response!

I used sodium bisulfate over 25 years around my parrot without any issues I used a stronger solution cold; I don’t heat it.
Aurora

Thank you for your response so nice to know there’s someone with a parrot doing work .did you have your parrot in the same floor as your workspace? Was there anything else you avoided around them?

Thats Jazz, a very 925Ag cat :)file:///home/kif/Pictures/JAZZ/DSCN1089.JPGfile:///home/kif/Pictures/JAZZ/DSCN1089.JPG

Here is my helper off my bench and bugging my hubby.IMG_20190313_213208|666x500