Pam Caidin - Jewelry Gallery

Pam Caidin
pamcaidin.com
Hamilton, MT. USA

I am captivated by the subtle beauty of recurring patterns in the natural world, universal patterns that cross all boundaries of scale and substance. All matter and energy in the universe are governed by the same natural forces, and patterns are a visible manifestation of these forces. Trees, ice crystals, capillaries, all share the same dendritic growth pattern. The optic nerve takes the same radial form as the rays of the sun, or the dandelion. Animate or inanimate, growth or decay, everything follows the same organizing principles.

My work is an interpretation of these patterns in metal. I make drawings based on found images, then photoetch those drawings into copper and nickel silver, letting the acid eat all the way through the metal, until what remains is a lacy replica of the original drawing. This pattern is overlayed onto fine silver by soldering the two metals together, then rolled in a rolling mill to imbed the etching into the silver. This overlayed piece is then used as an element in a hand fabricated hollow form.
To me, the ordinary, everyday is sublime.

From my father, the writer, came permission to live a creative life. From my grandmother, the seamstress, the desire to make things with my hands. And from my Sicilian mother, who loved all things Japanese, my quiet aesthetic.

Materials: Fine silver, copper, 14K gold. Dimensions: 1" x 4" x 0.40"

Copper photoetching of a linear drawing, overlayed onto fine silver, handformed into a hollow pillow.

Photo credit: Larry Sanders

1 Like

Copper Horn Necklace

Materials: Fine silver, copper, 14K gold.
Dimensions: 6" x 1.25" x 0.25"

Copper photoetching of a drawing based on the pattern on a moth wing, overlayed onto fine silver, handformed into a hollow pillow.

Moth Wing Pendant

Materials: Fine silver, copper, 14K gold.
Dimensions: 1.75" x 1.50" x 0.40"

Copper photoetching of a drawing based on the pattern on a moth wing, overlayed onto fine silver, handformed into a hollow pillow.

1 Like