Pallavi Gandhi - Jewelry Gallery

Studio 605
New Delhi, Delhi
India

Jewellery is the intimate medium through which I document my life’s experiences.

Our multifarious human emotions colour our senses.
Objectivity is transcended and transformed, bringing into play the subjective fact:

the shaping of an experience.

We affect our lives and our environment constantly with our perceptions and intentions.

Not what I saw, but how.
Not what I heard, but how.
Not what I said, but how.

These experiences start my design dialogue.

The inherent duality of metal: its simple purity and its intrinsic dynamism to lend itself to innumerable textures and finishes, makes it the perfect ally to my storytelling ways.

I hope the wearers will enrich this tradition and add their own experiences to it by engaging in and continuing the dialogue.

Artist Bio
I completed a 2-yr diploma in jewellery design & manufacturing in 2001 from Jewellery Design & Technology Institute, Noida.
And thereafter, taught jewellery design for about 6 years (at J.D.T.I.), a very fulfilling experience that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Being a studio jeweler, each piece has been conceptualized and handcrafted by me.

I started this venture 3 years ago and had my first exhibit in a group show of artists in Tank Gallery, U.K. in 2010, and now mostly sell through exhibitions and fairs.

Materials: sterling silver
Dimensions: 4 X 3.5 cm

In this piece, I’ve tried to capture a narrow, busy lane of Delhi’s jewellery quarters, Beadonpura, in Karol Bagh. Typically, the workshops are at the ground level and the living quarters above. A mesh of cable wires hang overhead weaving into the thin veil of dusk, a screen between the grinding rituals of daily life and the heady transcience of romance. In the morning the lovebirds would have flown.

Photo credit: Pallavi Gandhi

Tuesday’s Woe

Dimensions: 5 X 4.2 cm

‘Tuesday’s Woe’ is about a woman waiting for her lover to call, as promised. The phone never rings. Hence the weeping willows at the back.

At the threshold

Dimensions: 3.2 X 2.1 cm

Is anything ever really random?

Even when we’re playing around with shapes and formstrying out different combinations, is it all reallyjust random?

Or is there always a guiding thought?

Sometimes I think I have random thoughtsyou knowjust like that

Sure Thought: 2 domed sheets lying on my table for earrings

Random Thought: picture of an antenna/dish satellite (don’t know why that picture flashed across my mindrandom access memory eh?)

dish satellite ring
Guided Thought: TV towerrectangular spiral. The start of a ring.

Guided Thought is now Sure Thought.

Random Thought: bend the rectangular TV tower(?)

Guided Thought: a red hot-shot atop the rectangular TV tower

Ah! Raring to go!?!

Purple butterfly for passion and tranformation

Conceived Effect: ‘at the threshold’

Marigold: summer blossom

Dimensions: 3 X 2.1 cm

Though not a native of my land, Marigold has come to occupy a special place in all our auspicious ceremonies, in all the seasons.

The Lovebird Family

Dimensions: 3.5 X 3 cm

The Lovebird Family ring is particularly dear to me, as it helped me make that ‘significant’ leap in the quality(maturity) of my work and skill set.

It has Mr. and Mrs. Lovebird sitting atop one side of a vine-strewn castle wall and li’l Miss and Master Lovebird on the other side. The ring is made entirely in sterling silver.

This ring is also the 2nd ring I made as part of the ‘Ring A Week’ challenge on flickr.

The Lovebird Family

Dimensions: 3.5 X 3 cm

The Lovebird Family ring is particularly dear to me, as it helped me make that ‘significant’ leap in the quality(maturity) of my work and skill set.

It has Mr. and Mrs. Lovebird sitting atop one side of a vine-strewn castle wall and li’l Miss and Master Lovebird on the other side. The ring is made entirely in sterling silver.

This ring is also the 2nd ring I made as part of the ‘Ring A Week’ challenge on flickr.

Springbirds

Dimensions: 3 cm

Here I’ve tried to capture the sheer joy of spring after the dull gloominess of winter.