Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Oxylic acid?


#1

Dear John Burgess,

Since you stated that Oxylic acid is dangerous, what would be the
best way to dispose of it if I do decide to use it. I wouldn’t mind
going to Ark to look for them. ( beside relatives live there also)
I don’t want to add to the pollution problems we already have. Thank
you, Karen in El Cajon


#2
    Since you stated that Oxylic acid is dangerous, what would be
the best way to dispose of it if I do decide to use it. 

G’day Karen; Oxalic acid is of course poisonous; but I don’t think
I used the word dangerous. It doesn’t rate as a bad polluter
because a huge number of common plants contain oxalic acid, such as
the common weed oxalis, the bane of all gardeners and even the leaves
of rhubarb contain it; any cookery book will tell you not to use the
leaves, but only the stalk, and so on.

But if you want to be really correct, then you should pour unwanted
solutions of oxalic acid over sawdust or ‘kitty litter’ spread on a
waterproof tray, allow it to dry, take it to a rubbish tip and
scatter it. Or even wrap it in newspaper and dump it as usual. –
Cheers for now,

John Burgess; @John_Burgess2 of Mapua Nelson NZ


#3

Quick note - The active ingredient in “Barkeeper’s Friend” is Oxalic
acid. It’s a (powdered) household cleaner in the USA. Obscure
enough that not every grocery/drugstore has it. Really good for
rust stains and getting scale off of chrome. Your skin gets
fuzzy/flakey if you scrub with it for a long time. Use gloves.
-Dana Carlson