Oxygen concentrator purchasing advice

Those of you who bought and use an oxygen concentrator - do you have a contact for a company still in business selling them? I’ve looked on craigs list and FB marketplace, and am a little worried about getting ripped off. I just want to make sure the one I purchase is enough to run my Smith little torch, and maybe do a little melting for wire or sheet. I checked out the old posts here and most of the links listed are no longer in business.
Thanks!
Deb

1 Like

Hello,

Rio Grande has them listed in their catalog, but they show as out of stock.

I would venture to guess that their tech support might be able to answer some questions…

Julie

1 Like

Hello,

Stuller has this option in stock.
But It includes torch, etc

Perhaps they would be able to also sell just the unit…

Julie

1 Like

Look for a local company that takes them in to refurbish them. They come with new or renewed compressors and sieves and possibly a warranty. The sieves are important. If they haven’t been run, they may fail or not work as well as they should. This may be the case for any generator that you find on FB or Craig’s List that has been stored for some time. If they are local you also save the very high shipping cost. Good luck…Rob

2 Likes

As an example, following is a link to an oxygen concentrator reburbisher. This specific model is the one that I bought a couple years ago for around $295. I hope that the link works…Rob

1 Like

Refurbisher not reburbisher, sorry…Rob

1 Like

Thanks Rob, the link worked fine - I noticed they require a prescription for purchase, how did you get around that, since it’s not really for health use?

1 Like

This may be a little off topic but, for those who use O2 concentrators: Do you leave them running? I still use bottled O2 for pouring ingots, large annealing, forging, etc. but now have a concentrator for soldering. I turn it on only when I am using that torch.

1 Like

I did not notice that a prescription was required. I was really just sending it along as an example. Do a search in your area for these types of businesses. The one that is local to me (Syracuse, NY), and where I purchased my last concentrator, sells reconditioned units as long as they won’t be put back into medical use. Good luck…Rob

1 Like

Regards the off and on question. I turn mine off when not in use. But they are meant to keep people alive so they are so continuous use is assumed I suppose. Running unneeded is just unnecessary use it seems to me.

Don

1 Like

I suspect this is the best plan. When used for patient care, they are delivering oxygen continuously. If its being used for a torch, when the torch is off the concentrator is building up back pressure, which may or may not damage it.

1 Like

I purchased a reconditioned concentrator and was told by the technician to make sure to run it for at least an hour every few days so that the sieve would stay in working order. If I’m not planning to use that setup, I take the tip off of the handle and run it when I first get into the shop.

Pam

1 Like

Hi,

I have been thinking about getting one as well.

The rio grande item link has the attached blurb about being refurbished to meet jewelry needs…I am wondering how jewelry concentrators are different from medical ones…?

julie

1 Like

I think that they just make a relief valve adjustment. It is important to run a concentrator on a regular basis to keep the sieves healthy. I turn mine on almost daily and leave it running while I am in my shop regardless of whether or not I am using my torch. I also crack the O2 valve on both torches regardless of which one I am using to maintain a 3 lpm setting as that seems to be ideal for my setup.

1 Like

I think the biggest industry driving industrial reuse of o2 concentrated is glass flameworking. Those torches are extremely oxygen hungry, jewelers torches are tiny by comparison. My wife is a glass artist and we found the concentrator rehab industry to be a bit like the dark web, hard to access or pin down. Lots of word of mouth references for garage mechanics in strange places, often with only a cell phone number for contact.

That said, we found great prices and service at Available Oxygen https://www.availableoxygen02.com/
A 5lpm should be fine for most jewelers torches.

You can also go with well known places like rio grande, but expect to pay double. You can sometimes find them for free or super cheap on Craigslist also. I got a free one that looked like it had never been cleaned after decades in a barn and didn’t work. Cleaned it up, replaced the filters and it was fine.

And yes, I often leave mine running the whole time I’m in the studio, but crack the o2 valve in your torch, they’re meant to flow and back pressure is said to cause eventual damage.

Lawrence

2 Likes

I purchased mine from Extreme Oxygen. Here is their website: - Products

2 Likes

I leave it running when in the studio intending to solder off and on during the day. But I turn it off if leaving. I use it for everything. Why use bottled for those other things? The reason I have it is for safety of not having a large O2 tank in my garage. I use disposable propane tanks with it. I just melted an ozt of gold with heat to spare. Use either the melting tip or #5 Paige tip if you have a smith little.

always leave the oxygen valve open on your torch when concentrator is running and you’re not actively using the torch. No issues with back pressure at all.

Good afternoon. Maybe you have a suggestion that will help solve my issue. My concentrator is not putting out purified air- I have narrowed it down to the internal filter which I have one on order. Am I on the right path? It is refurbished concentrator and puts out 5 liters of air. I checked my torch,tips, and hoses and they are working fine. My problem is I cannot sustain a flame when I light the torch.

See what the filter does, then look for a refurbisher if you can find one. When you say it is not putting out purified air, I assume you mean O2. Do you know this because the torches don’t stay lit or because the low O2 alarm or light are telling you?