Non-Oregonianians and Oregon Sunstone

I mine Oregon Sunstone and it’s unfortunate that this stone doesn’t have a wider following. I know many artists are starting to use this stone outside of Oregon and wonder how many here have used this stone or have been perhaps frightened off due to the Andesine scandal some 15 years ago, or the lower mohs hardness rating compared to tourmaline, sapphire, emerald etc.

The few I have purchased are bland. I think sunstones need to be fairly large for the Schiller to be easily visible. Of course I may have just received mediocre stones.

A problem I have with sellers such as Rio Grande (nothing against them) is that you get whatever is next in line to be shipped, which may or may not be very interesting. I’d like to know of suppliers that show the actual, individual stone that is for sale.

Neil A

2 Likes

Neil…Take a look at Joseph P. Stachura.

https://www.stachurawholesalegemstones.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=sunstone

They seem to do what you are asking…Rob

1 Like

Thanks for the link Rob, but that’s not quite what I’m hoping for. They show a small selection of sample stones, but for example the 10x14 ovals they do not show individual stones.

I do trust Stachura, and their sunstones do look better than Rio’s, but I already have too many various stones I won’t use that technically fit a sellers’ descriptions.

Some things, like synthetic sapphire, are commodity pieces you can count on to be as shown, but many others vary quite a bit and you never know what you will get until after it is paid for and delivered. Too often it is a disappointment.

Neil A

1 Like

I have a website where i sell faceted Oregon Sunstone. Each stone is an individual. Photos of each.

www.rosegemshop.com if you’d like to check

2 Likes

Brian, very nice website, just what I’m looking for.

Neil A

1 Like

Another sunstone source is Dan Lynch, a precision cutter who has a website, <danlynchgems.com>.
Search there at “Catalog” for “Oregon Sunstone.” Let Dan know you are in the trade if you want to purchase, there may be a trade discount. Dan collects his sunstone on annual trips to the mines.
-royjohn.

Agreed. I don’t care for buying stones that are represented by one stone they photographed. I understand it’s time-consuming to photograph every single stone but when you have vision of a design, the stone can make or break it. I’m extremely picky when it comes to what stones I’ll use. That’s why I usually put hase from smaller vendors or in person. I mine, cut, and polish done of my own stones but have no professional training so most of my stones are sourced reputable small businesses.

1 Like