A couple of years ago I put away a glass jar with small amount of
nitric acid and water and then completely forgot about it. Well I
discovered it the other day, and the lid had completely rusted, but
not so much that I could get it off. I figure that the water om in
the solution would have evaporated through the small holes and that
solution would now be quite strong. There is however no way of
getting water to it and to dispose and so this is what I am
Please give me some advice as to whether this is right!
If I immerse the whole thing in a very big tub of water - it is a
stainless steel laundry sink, with a huge amount of bicarb of soda
in it, say 1 1/2 kg, is this a dangerous thing to do, given that the
solution is probably no longer that diluted (there is about 1/4 of a
jam jar of liquid, or something like that). Would there be a
dramatic reaction with the H2o and bicarb or will it just neutralise
I would be so happy with any thoughts or suggestions.
Many thanks in advance