New Bench Project - I’m interested in advice

The average desk is about 30" tall and the average jeweler’s bench is about 38" tall. That said there is no right answer with bench height. It’s definitely a matter of personal preference, including how tall you are and what kind of chair that you have. Many folks who build jeweler’s benches out of desks create some kind of risers to raise up the desk height.

I know for me I like having options with working height. I rely heavily on the GRS adjustable height bracket.

Another factor with a desk is creating a catch tray. There’s been a number of threads talking about different ways to create that.

Do you think that you want to make a circular cut out to correspond with whatever you use for a catch tray? That will be another decision.

Most desks have a thinner top than jeweler’s benches. GRS makes a steel mounting plate for this situation. You’re pretty innovative and will probably want to make your own, but this is what I’m talking about.

Here’s a couple of old threads about making a bench out of a desk.

Looks like a beautiful desk! You’re going to have fun with this!

Jeff

4 Likes

Hi,
if i were to make only a few suggestions it would be:

1. build a shelving unit for on top of the bench for bur boxes, and, hand tools, like scribe, ruler, divider, tweezers etc…

2. use wooden bur boxes for each category of burs, attachments like drills, burs, sanding, polishing, buffing, etc …mark holes with bur size…keep one size set in box, and backup bur packs in bur storage box

3. use plastic containers to store and separate compounds

4. use aluminum strip to make plier holders…miter corners, bend and screw in place

i added the top shelving after the fact…had to make two units with a space in the middle so that my dazor light could be lowered and raised…

my metals bench is small and my bench top is only 20” deep, so i am able to reach all but the uppermost top while in a seated position

my studio is very small and so i make maximum use of vertical space…
this has freed up my bench top (i am a clean freak and always keep things put away when not in use…i use plastic fishing tackle boxes to store tools, files, etc and keep them stacked in rolling cube units to the side of my bench

julie

6 Likes

Wow amazing input so far! Thank you to each person. I’ll update you again soon with my plans after I digest your ideas.

Good advise by the members. I would add a couple. First don’t worry about the top of your roll top being a limiting factor. you can have a shelving unit built for the top shelves that is framed on the outside of your desk. Think of it as a wooden coat wrapped around your desk. Just have it made a few inches above the roll top itself. That way you can still use the roll top feature. I wish I had that to keep my cats off of mine when I’m not working. Next would be the height. Since I’m being scheduled first for hip replacement then knee replacement before I can finally have my back fixed I can’t emphasize how important the correct posture is. My compromised bones are not due to incorrect posture but a drug interaction. I use to be so careful not to harm my back, but you never know what will happen. Now I can only sit for about an hour at my bench before the pain has me nearly crying. You want to keep your back very straight, and for those of us with our appendage pair higher keep your shoulders down, and your chest thrust out forward. As you sit in this position, think of how you could roll your pants pockets under your butt. Doing this you will feel very good. Problem most people have is we have weak ab muscles. That position is hard to hold for long unless you are a exercise buff. So what do you do? Sit at your desk and write something or a extended period of time. Feel what is happening with your back. Try various heights to see what works best for you and keeping your back as straight as possible. A lower chair helps, so does use of the extended arm rests some desks have. If I could go back to when I was a teenager, I would have gotten and kept over time a rock hard abdomen. Best of luck with your new bench. Keep the pictures coming.

4 Likes

Hi,

you are so right about posture!

i started by sitting with my feet flat on the floor, then adjusted bench height from there…i ended up stacking some wood strip under the bench legs until i figure out the best height…easy to do…

and next i would mention proper positioning of lighting to avoid shadows…i posted something about this awhile ago…with illustrations…lighting ergonomics or some such…

julie

5 Likes

hi,

here it is…!

julie

2 Likes

I whipped a quick model to see about how the cutout would look. It’s approximately a 14” radius cutout.

I have some separate drawers that I use to hold things I don’t need direct access too.

I’ll definitely come up with something to hold burs, a place for blades, pliers, files…

2 Likes

Thank you for this. I really need to get a better chair at some point. And to continually remember to stay aligned in my spine.

1 Like

I’m definitely exploring ways to have “surgical” lighting. I like my eyes to be as relaxed as possible.

1 Like

Hi,

oh, and! after you sit and make your feet flat, cross your legs…take note of that height…

so that hopefully the sweeps tray is above that height

mine is just a tad low…kinda annoying

julie

2 Likes

Brennan,
As far as needing a better chair, that will definitely help you and instead of buying an inexpensive chair, I would like to suggest going to your local Office Design Business and ask them if they have any Used Office Chairs (Swivel Type with Arm Rests and Wheels) that were returned or given to them by their clients. The vast majority of them will and some really nice, expensive ones too - I purchased a $375.00 Office Chair for $50.00 and it’s in near perfect condition and it has more features on it than my Car Seat does - the Arm Rests are even Adjustable - in and out and up and down! :wink: Anyway, give it a try, the worst that can happen is that they tell you no or try to sell it to you for more than you want to pay… Good Luck!

Julie,
That’s funny: “…after you sit and make your feet flat, cross your legs…” this is how I sit most of the time while I’m working, I sometimes even curl my legs thru and around the chair’s forked base too! :wink: Several of the other Jewellers that I worked with and for over the years, always shook their heads at me when they’d walk by… :slight_smile:

As far as my Sweeps Tray is concerned, I will usually “wedge” my legs up under the bottom shelf that the sweeps tray rests on, using the adjustable height on my chair and that way I am a lot more stable and find myself “swaying” a little less while doing certain techniques… One of the many odd little things that I’ve been doing almost my entire (25+) years as a Bench Jeweller and even now that I’m no longer working for a Jewellery Store. We Jewellers sure can have some peculiar ways of doing things at times… :wink:
Jonathan

2 Likes

I’m uploading my existing bench in its messy state for reference. If someone sees an obvious mistake in the way it’s set up, please point it out!

3 Likes

Hi!
Cool! you look busy! no mistakes! its your bench!

my suggestions would be:

1. scraps containers:
    clean sheet
    clean wire
    castings
    bits with solder
    sweeps
    -possibly a hole drilled at back of sweeps drawer, with a container attached/screwed beneath to collect sweeps
  • i use a flat plastic painter thingy as a sort of dustpan, to sweep onto, using a bench brush
    -possibly get a dust collector/ fish mouth for back of sweeps drawer (with a hole for hose) (i bet you could magiver one with a shop vac, some vacumn hose, plumbing connectors, and wood!)
  1. vertical shelving at back of bench
  • with pullout boxes to store bagged supplies (i use old wooden cigar boxes (with the slide off lid- i do not use the lids)
  • to store bottles, jars when not in use
  • to store less used items

thrift store stuff:
-wooden wine rack can be used for use for mandrels

-ceramic kitchen utensil holders make good holders for sanding sticks, rullers, scissors, mallets, etc

• old pan lids make great pitch bowl covers

• old baking pans make great trays

• cut jumbo straws in a can/ jar keep needle files, tweezers, picks, and other hand tools separated safely

because i cannot survive in clutter, i am a clean freak…my love for containment and elevation is really just to facilitate easier cleaning! haha!

julie

4 Likes

Hi,

and something i started decades ago, while attending various classes…so i would be sure not to leave tools behind…

plastic Plano fishing tackle boxes are a great uniform/ stackable storage solution:

• they have lids, so items stay clean

• they have adjustable compartments, to keep tools separated and to keep them from moving around/ rubbing against each other (ie: to protect file teeth, points on scribes and dividers, exacto knives (wine corks!), etc…saw blade tubes…mini mandrels…scrapers…etc

• they are great for backstock of flexshaft attachments (silicone wheels, buffs, sanding discs, abrasive points, etc

i probably love making storage and tools more than actually making jewelry, haha!

julie

4 Likes

I love this advice. Thank you. I’ll endeavor to add as many as possible because I can see the value of all those suggestions. Thank you.

I decided to (as is my nature) get on with it and cut the roll top and plop it on the existing wooden base. I’ll definitely weld up a new metal base and thicken the top but this lets me test the ergonomics before that project.

I want to rig things so the roll top can close of course…

5 Likes

very compact and neat… I love the stereo microscope too…hate to say I’m old enough to need one too!.

1 Like

That old roll top desk is an antique or is it?.. it’s a great piece of furniture in it’s own right… whatever solution you come up with, hope it serves you well… have a small suggestion: if you’re good at welding, have you considered a metal frame with a height adjustment and heavy duty locking rolling wheels that won’t slip when locked? My own bench was made out of 2X4’s and 2X6’s with a hardibacker inset top which is heat resistant…the inset helps it trap filings… best luck on your new bench…

1 Like

I wish I had a roll top desk/bench. The cats keep running off with my felt buffs!!
– alonzo

4 Likes

It’s not an antique. It’s just a particleboard desktop and some shelves above it but it’s turned out to be great!

Yeah, the microscope is a real game changer. I got one of the Chinese clones that are available and I could not go back to just using an optivisor.

Know that the desk is functional I will probably take two or three years to build the weed base I have planned lol!

1 Like

Steel, not weed base. :joy:

1 Like