My new home made bench

This project took me year to finish
Jeff

25 Likes

WOW Jeff, amazing work! But now, I’m officially a hack, lol! How do you like your Cab King? I keep leaning toward getting into lapidary to make my own cabs but probably DIY a little two wheel first just to keep the investment low until I see if I want to keep going. Again…really beautiful job on that bench!

Its a project not for the faint of heart.

1 Like

Amazing job! Can you do one for me? :laughing: really great job!
Saving the pictures to show my husband. Hopefully I put this on my wish list and I may get something similar. Thanks for sharing
God bless!

2 Likes

Great looking benches. I would have a hard time using them for fear of burning, scratching, denting or whatever to them. I can’t even use my own benches for a few days after I clean them. Nice job…Rob

7 Likes

At the end of the day it is made from hard wood and can be sanded and refinished if you had some kind of accident. I figure that if I am going to make something I am going to use great materials and make is special, otherwise I would just buy something.

5 Likes

Here is my set-up took me long enough to get back in action.

11 Likes

Absolutely fantastic bench and I really like your anvil set up too!

1 Like

Wow! Beautiful! Nice dog too.

1 Like

Maybe you should give up jewelry and just make benches? I thought that the dog was Major and that Joe had sent him to live with you now. Don’t worry, he only bites Republicans…LOL…

5 Likes

Well at the speed of my wood working I would go broke!

So beautiful. I would be afraid to use it. I hope you have a family member to pass this bench on to eventually because it is a legacy piece for sure.

WoW! That looks so unique and very strong bench ! You made for all your needs well done ! :heart_eyes:

Fantastic! Beautifully made and it will be a great experience to work at it time and again! Well done!

Wendy

Beautiful bench and studio arrangement. I am looking for the “perfect” chair and yours looks as if it is comfortable. Could you share where you purchased it? Thanks.

2 Likes

Thank you, I see if I can remember and write you back

Well I finally figured out what it is and where I purchased it!

1 Like

Thank you so much for the information. I truly appreciate your going to the trouble to track down the info for me. I think it is probably a bit too high at its minimum height for me to work at a regular height table. Great for bench work however…so I shall put it on my list for when I add that to my studio needs. Again, thank you!

You should try to get a proper height bench ASAP. Working at dining table height is bad for your back, if you have to bend over, or for your knees, if you sit on a very low stool.
There are table-top mini-benches one can buy, mostly over-priced, IMHO. These will raise the work to a better height. You can easily knock together a makeshift table-top mini-bench out of plywood for less than the tool suppliers charge.
This one, though, seems not too expensive.

1 Like

While for stone setting and various other jeweler’s tasks, shoulder height is about right, for doing other things, such as forging silver, a much lower height is better. I wish I had known this years ago, when I adapted my old watchmaker’s bench for jewelry. Now I have a lower height cabinet next to the bench for soldering and I will add a heavy duty table for forging with some wooden areas for doming up things (“bumping up,” as the Native Americans say), a vise and a small railroad track anvil.