My home studio is becoming reality

I talked about it for awhile, but it’s finally coming alive. I settled on a Meco Midget torch for propane, lightweight hoses, and some Paige tips, along with a 10 lpm oxygen concentrator. The hoses fit the torch and the OC, but not the propane canister. I gather that I need a regulator on the propane side, but when I called Kent at TM Technologies, where I got the torch, he said I need a $250 regulator. I hope that is overkill, so I am turning to you all for your thoughts.

Michael

2 Likes

If you are using a 1 lb. propane campstove cylinder, you can use a nonadjustable propane regulator. As an example only, many other places sell them, following is a link to one at Rio. Ken probably thinks that you are using a 20 lb. grill type cylinder. Even then, there are less expensive regulators…Rob

1 Like

I use the Smith regulator for disposable 1lb propane that Ron mentioned above, and an oxygen concentrator with a Smith Little setup that works great.

Do you have an extraction system?

1 Like

Hi Pam:

I don’t have an extraction system. I am building my studio in our apartment and both space and possible exhaust outlets are exceedingly limited. I’m not discounting the need, but so far the only solution that presents itself is fans.

Michael

Hi,

if you are near a window, domething along this nature might work…

https://www.amazon.com/LBG-Products-Conditioner-Adjustable-Universal/dp/B08VRGF7P7/ref=asc_df_B08VRGF7P7/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=632045899408&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11968810215299612380&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031201&hvtargid=pla-1897003081363&psc=1&mcid=982f76cfd6763e518cc666edcc40631b

julie

Hi,

i believe there are regulations against using 20lb propane tanks indoors…check for your location…

julie

1 Like

I’m a big fan of the Quatro Gold Vault, which is a ductless ventilation system that captures dust and fumes. Its multi-level filtration system will capture solder fumes and also dust from your flex shaft or whatever you’re using. It’s fairly compact and very powerful.

Something to consider.

Congrats on moving forward with this project! You’ve been working on it for a while. Have fun!!

Jeff

Hi Julie:

I have no doubt that there are regulations against using the 20 lb. propane tanks indoors, particularly since I live in an apartment. Accordingly, I’m limiting myself to the one lb. canisters; if there were studio space available for rent where I live, I would happily do so, but there is none.

Michael

2 Likes

Hi Jeff:

Thank you. It has taken me quite some time as life kept happening. I’ll attach some pictures as soon as it’s a little more together.

Michael

1 Like

I wish you good luck, Michael. I’ve lived in apartments or shared houses for too long, and setting up my “stuff” was always a headache. Keep going …! I’m hoping to move into a van, myself, so I can hammer and fire up a torch when I want.

Thanks gerrysotherkid. Getting it all together was one thing, relearning how to solder seems to be another, particularly with an oxy/propane torch in place of my old Prestolite air/acetylene. It makes me feel like a beginner.

1 Like

Ugh I’m a perpetual beginner because I don’t have a place to do it yet. You’re sound like you won’t give up…all I know is, if you’re still working on it …take breaks to avoid building up frustration.

I have a ring that I gave up on… roommate’s dog would attack me if she heard any “odd” noises. Now it makes me laugh, I can’t even sneeze. But it helps to laugh it off I think.

1 Like

Hi,
yay! soldering!

ok, try and just take scrap bits and wire and a #7 tip

adjust the flame from around 1” and try melting metal

play around with flame lengths, oxy/ pripane blends, etc, to get comfortable and familiarize yourself…

try pointing the flame at the solderite board…move the flame in and out…watch the red heat spot on the board to familiarize yourself with dustance, etc

familiarize yourself with reducing, neutral, oxidizing flames…how they look…how they sound…how to change flame size and adjust to these flames…

anneal…melt blobs…

have fun with it…

julie

1 Like

Well here is my first piece of jewelry in 35 years. Thanks Julie for the advice, it helped, though I hate doing practice pieces so I decided to make a chain because of it having lots of soldering. It is nowhere near the quality of work I once did, but it’s a start. I only melted three links, and I managed to avoid soldering any of them together. My solder joints are messy and overly thick, which interferes with shaping. One bright spot is that, the more links I made, the better they got. Despite its flaws in construction, I decided to finish it. It’s not perfect, but I made enough progress that, God willing, the next one will be much improved.

4 Likes

I have that and love it. Easy to set up.