Moving - how to pack my Durston Rolling mill

Hi!
I’m preparing for a cross-country move (3000mi) and I will be adding all of my studio stuff to our household container - it will be shipped out ahead of us, then stored for about 5 months in a relatively low humid location.
I’ve searched and searched for advice (and tried contacting Durston) on how to package and box up this most precious piece of studio equipment so the rollers don’t get misaligned. I’ve already got hundreds of desiccant packs saved up, so I’m prepared to keep it as dry as possible.

If anyone here can offer experience-based advice, I’d really appreciate it!

(It’s only 1.5 yrs old - so I’m not going to sell it and get another one - it was a generous gift from my father in law, and he’s no longer with us so I’m not able to ask him how it was packaged when he received it.)

Thank you! :blush:

Mine arrived on a small wooden pallet and in a wooden box. This may be in part required by import/export regulations. I believe that it had a preservative on it or at least the polished rollers did. I am sure that there were desiccant bags too. You need to worry about humidity as well as physical damage. You may be able to secure something soft between the rollers but I would not close them under a lot of tension. Oil the threads and grease the gears and cross your fingers. You might think about removing the top main wheel as it makes the whole thing pretty top heavy or pack it on its side. Try talking to Rio, Otto Frei, Gesswein, Content as they may have someone who will help. Good luck…Rob

1 Like

Hi,
I moved from UK to Florida with my Durston rolling machine.
My husband made a plywood bottom, screwed the mill to this base (take the handle off), then nailed 2 wood panels on opposite sides (a U shape) so the mill fit inside it snuggly. Then I put that and the handle in a cardboard box (book size box/small) and packed it completely with foam blocks & chips. With huge arrows & ‘This Way Up’ & ’ Heavy’ signs all over. Before packing I covered it all & the rollers in 3in1 oil and some extra grease in the mechanism and slightly loosened the rollers so they weren’t jammed next to each other. It was being shipped across the Atlantic and going to be stored for a further few months once here.
It was in perfect condition when I unpacked it 7 months later.
Good luck!
Nicola

2 Likes

Perfect!!! Thank you so much!!!

Further to my first reply, I have had heavy objects shipped to me surrounded by first a heavy plastic bag and then what appears to have been spray foam. I would remove the handle and top gear first and wrap them separately, bolt the mill to a heavy piece of plywood, do the wrap, place it all in the box and then spray the foam. I have no idea how the metal and foam might react over time. Just a thought. You have received other very good suggestions from people who have actually had to do what you are doing. Good luck…
Rob

1 Like

Thank you, Rob!!
Spray foam…like the crack/insulation stuff? Hmmm.
That’s also an interesting idea!
I’m probably going to combine ideas - my moving container arrives Jan 7, so I have some time to get this all figured out.
I really appreciate all the replies I’ve received😊

-sent via the interwebs🖖🏼

I received my Durston rolling mill some dozen years ago, all the metal parts had been thickly coated with natural lanolin and then wrapped in grease-proof paper. Finally bubble wrap and cardboard box. I appreciate that heavier mills might require something different. Now that I am moth-balling everything due to retirement, I intend to use lanolin again to help keep rust at bay.

1 Like

Thanks Paul! I really appreciate the input!!!:slightly_smiling_face:

-sent via the interwebs🖖🏼