Moebius - Differences Unite Us

Materials: sterling silver
Dimensions: 3cm x 4cm

ring
the impossible attempt to capture the infinite.

Photo credit: michelangelo sardo

Sonia Spano
Cagliari, Italy

I am inspired by the wild wind and the waves of my little island in the middle of the Mediterraneo. My Art is ,like life,light and movement.the illusion to beat the metal is a priceless sensation.I graduated in Florence at the jewelry’s Academy Riachi and at the School for Goldsmiths Perseo.I am a member of the a.g.c., the Italian contemporary jewelry association,with wich I take part in international exhibitions.I create also for my clientele and for the best jewelry shop in my country.

Ganoksin hosts the jewelry list Orchid, with over 13,000 list members from all over the world, speaking from a wide range of technical and aesthetic experiences. The exhibition theme grew out of a desire to celebrate the creativity encompassed in this wide variety.

Artists were free to interpret the theme in any way they chose. Each artist could submit up to six pieces. Interpretations include uniting different materials into one cohesive form; intellectual and emotional “unitings”, where the meaning of the piece unites multiple concepts; the uniting of time - past, present and future; and a number that focus on the harmony created when uniting multiple materials and/or concepts.

The work submitted involved a wide range of jewelry techniques, from very traditional to very cutting edge, as well as using materials from traditional precious metals and gemstones to “re-purposed” and “up-cycled” materials.

The exhibition showcases 330 images chosen from entries from over 111 artists representing 26 countries.

Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Czech Republic, France, Greece, India, Israel, Italy, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Philippines, Serbia, Spain, Trinidad, Turkey, UK, USA, Venezuela, and the Virgin Islands

Many of the participants began their interest in jewelry at a young age. Some are relative newcomers to the field, and some have over 35 years of experience as professional jewelers and goldsmiths. While some grew up in families that were goldsmiths, and followed in those footsteps, others only began creating jewelry as adults.