Michael Romanik - Jewelry Gallery

Michael Romanik
East Cleveland, Ohio. USA

As a student studying enameling in art school, I became intrigued with the technique of cloisonne', creating linear designs and images with flat wire embedded between layers of colored granular glass. This was my first
introduction to enameling. In my pursuit to learn more about this medium and wanting to perfect my skills with it, I spent many years researching and experimenting with this art form that captivated me.

Becoming familiar with the relative immediateness of enamel, I wanted to use it in a functional manner. Making jewelry was a natural step in my early process of mastering the medium. I enjoy the intimate scale and proportion of jewelry and the satisfaction of seeing objects that I've made being worn and appreciated by those who wear them.

The seemingly endless variety of enamel hues that was available seemed daunting. I chose a limited palette so that I could master its qualities and properties. Each color has its own presence and technical merits. For strong contrast, I place light color enamel next to dark, emphasizing each one's boldness and brilliance. For a complimentary effect, similar colors overlap and blend into one other, creating harmonious transition.

Additional colors eventually find their way into my color scheme as I explore new imagery and subject matter.

Some early inspiration for my work was derived from my interest in the objects and images of ancient cultures: the grandeur of ancient Egypt, the colorful painted relief carvings on Mayan architecture, the symbols of the Celts. Recent inspiration comes from nature: the vibrant plumage of a songbird, the delicate markings of a butterfly wing, the gentle curve of a small branch. A new interest is the repetitive geometric patterns and motifs of Asian and Indian textiles. The challenge of creating the intricate designs from gold and silver wire fascinates me and tests my technical abilities.

I was born in 1966 and raised in the Cleveland OH area. My home and studio are in East Cleveland. I am a 1989 graduate of the Cleveland Institute of Art with a BFA Degree in Drawing and minors in both Printmaking and Glass. I am a recipient of a 2011 Creative Workforce Fellowship. My $20,000 fellowship was generously funded by Cuyahoga Arts and Culture, The Community Partnership for Arts and Culture, and the residents of Cuyahoga County OH.

Michael Romanik

As a student studying enameling in art school, I became intrigued with the technique of cloisonne', creating linear designs and images with flat wire embedded between layers of colored granular glass. This was my first
introduction to enameling. In my pursuit to learn more about this medium and wanting to perfect my skills with it, I spent many years researching and experimenting with this art form that captivated me.

Becoming familiar with the relative immediateness of enamel, I wanted to use it in a functional manner. Making jewelry was a natural step in my early process of mastering the medium. I enjoy the intimate scale and proportion of jewelry and the satisfaction of seeing objects that I've made being worn and appreciated by those who wear them.

The seemingly endless variety of enamel hues that was available seemed daunting. I chose a limited palette so that I could master its qualities and properties. Each color has its own presence and technical merits. For strong contrast, I place light color enamel next to dark, emphasizing each one's boldness and brilliance. For a complimentary effect, similar colors overlap and blend into one other, creating harmonious transition.

Additional colors eventually find their way into my color scheme as I explore new imagery and subject matter.

Some early inspiration for my work was derived from my interest in the objects and images of ancient cultures: the grandeur of ancient Egypt, the colorful painted relief carvings on Mayan architecture, the symbols of the Celts. Recent inspiration comes from nature: the vibrant plumage of a songbird, the delicate markings of a butterfly wing, the gentle curve of a small branch. A new interest is the repetitive geometric patterns and motifs of Asian and Indian textiles. The challenge of creating the intricate designs from gold and silver wire fascinates me and tests my technical abilities.

I was born in 1966 and raised in the Cleveland OH area. My home and studio are in East Cleveland. I am a 1989 graduate of the Cleveland Institute of Art with a BFA Degree in Drawing and minors in both Printmaking and Glass. I am a recipient of a 2011 Creative Workforce Fellowship. My $20,000 fellowship was generously funded by Cuyahoga Arts and Culture, The Community Partnership for Arts and Culture, and the residents of Cuyahoga County OH.

3 Likes

Grid Earrings

Michael Romanik

As a student studying enameling in art school, I became intrigued with the technique of cloisonne’, creating linear designs and images with flat wire embedded between layers of colored granular glass. This was my first

Becoming familiar with the relative immediateness of enamel, I wanted to use it in a functional manner. Making jewelry was a natural step in my early process of mastering the medium. I enjoy the intimate scale and proportion of jewelry and the satisfaction of seeing objects that I’ve made being worn and appreciated by those who wear them.

The seemingly endless variety of enamel hues that was available seemed daunting. I chose a limited palette so that I could master its qualities and properties. Each color has its own presence and technical merits. For strong contrast, I place light color enamel next to dark, emphasizing each one’s boldness and brilliance. For a complimentary effect, similar colors overlap and blend into one other, creating harmonious transition.

Oriole (Brooch / Pendant)

Michael Romanik

As a student studying enameling in art school, I became intrigued with the technique of cloisonne’, creating linear designs and images with flat wire embedded between layers of colored granular glass. This was my first

Becoming familiar with the relative immediateness of enamel, I wanted to use it in a functional manner. Making jewelry was a natural step in my early process of mastering the medium. I enjoy the intimate scale and proportion of jewelry and the satisfaction of seeing objects that I’ve made being worn and appreciated by those who wear them.

The seemingly endless variety of enamel hues that was available seemed daunting. I chose a limited palette so that I could master its qualities and properties. Each color has its own presence and technical merits. For strong contrast, I place light color enamel next to dark, emphasizing each one’s boldness and brilliance. For a complimentary effect, similar colors overlap and blend into one other, creating harmonious transition.

3 Likes

White-breasted Nuthatch Brooch

Michael Romanik

2 Likes

Rose-breasted Grosbeak Brooch

Michael Romanik

2 Likes

Gujarat (Brooch / Pendant)

Michael Romanik

1 Like

Polka Dot Branch Brooch II

Michael Romanik

1 Like

Geometrica Bracelet

Michael Romanik

2 Likes

Oriole & Poplar (opened / unassembled)

Michael Romanik

3 Likes

Encandas (Brooch / Pendant)

Michael Romanik

2 Likes

Multi-leaf Pendant

Michael Romanik

1 Like

Eastern Bluebird Brooch

Michael Romanik

2 Likes

House Wren Brooch

Michael Romanik

2 Likes

American Goldfinch Brooch

Michael Romanik

2 Likes

Oriole & Poplar (Container / Brooch / Pendant)

Michael Romanik

1 Like

Blue & Orange Bracelet

Michael Romanik

2 Likes

Large Branch Brooch

Michael Romanik

1 Like

Climbing Rose Pendant

Michael Romanik

1 Like