Metal catch question

So i modified my bench today to bring me in more and have a bit of the half circle. I could only go so far due to a metal bar. (Picture)

I got this leather today and want to make me a metal catch. Any suggestions on size etc?

Oops, pics

1 Like

Hi Kimberly,

That looks like a very nice skin! May i ask where you got it?…

try using a trash bag (or 2, taped together) to figure out a pattern for your skin

sit at your bench with scissors and masking tape, and start draping and taping the trash bag in your cutout…to see what shape/ size might work for you…try pinching…darting…curbing the edges…

julie

2 Likes

At Hobby Lobby in the leather working section of all places. They have bags for $16 of leather. Its hit or miss, but sometimes you ge5 a surprise.

1 Like

Hi Kimberly,

I found this old post when i did an internet search for “pattern for a jewelers bench skin”

3 Likes

Hi,

here are specs for a Durston skin, in millimeters, from their website.

approx 32” wide/ 15” deep…(seems a bit small?)

julie

3 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Thats perfect for me

I wonder why one side is larger than the other?

hi kimberley,

oh…no…both sides same measurement…in the diagram, the right side measurement is the side measurement, corner to corner, and the left side measurement is the depth, top to bottom

i misspoke! the depth is 22”…not 14”…!

julie

1 Like

UPDATE: FINAL WORK
its not perfect, but it works.

2 Likes

Hi!
beautiful! great job!!!

i am jealous! i am still in trash bag mock up mode​:rofl::joy:

grass does not grow under your feet!

make sure there is a “belly” in the middle, so stuff rolls there…instead of out the front, onto your lap…

julie

2 Likes

Hi Kimberly,

i wanted to show you this rolling cube unit…it might be of interest…

i have one on the side of my bench and it provides additional surface area, as well as under storage…it rolls and can be pushed in or pulled out…i love it and wish i could fit one on both sides of my bench…

julie

1 Like

I have a few metal rolling carts like that. That I got at Michael’s. But I need to get to home depot and get some wood and build me some wooden ones like that as well as some storage area above also. I feel like I spend more time fabricating things than I do working LOL.

about 40 years ago I bought some “naugahyde” material from a fabric shop and it continues to be useful.

2 Likes

Would rare earth magnets work. Maybe in small pockets created by gluing a small
Patc of leather over the magnet?

1 Like