META to train AI on user accounts

For those who have posted their work on Instagram and Facebook this may be of interest / concern. Those in the EU can opt out but it seems everyone else cannot except possibly by deleting their account before 6/26.

1 Like

I am in London, and followed the opt out procedure. But I don’t trust them not to ‘scrape’ my work from Instagram and Facebook. I now post on Cara as a belated protest, feeling a bit like Fred Flintstone as his neighbour sails by in a Tesla.

In other words, there seems no way to stop the future, and to my dismay, the do-gooders seem to be outnumbered by the do-badders.

1 Like

Welcome to tech.

Every ‘agreement’ I’ve ever read has a clause stating that they can change the agreement at any time, which basically makes the whole thing worthless to the user and puts all the power in their hands. The rules are the rules until they say they are different.

Right now Meta claims they will not use personal images and uploads to train AI. Which of course they reserve the right to change at any time.

Can you imagine buying a car or a house where the seller demands the right to change the contract in any way they want at any time they choose?

That one clause has kept me from signing up with any number of businesses.

I now post on Cara as a belated protest, feeling a bit like Fred Flintstone as his neighbour sails by in a Tesla.

Teslas crash into stationary objects, like fire trucks. There is the saying in tech that if you are not paying for the product then you are the product. Don’t sell yourself cheaply.

Neil A