Men's bracelet sizes - Please help!

Hello, does anyone have any suggestions on the interior dimensions for a an average mens Jewelry bracelet ( inner diameter x inner height, Assuming an ellipse shape )?

For some context my bracelet has a center piece with two “arms” connected to it, similar to a watch band connected to a watch face. The arms can pivet up and down The whole piece is metal so there is no give and you are unable to bend the metal. The arms are clasped on the bottom of the bracelet.

I am driving myself crazy trying to find an average MENS size for the interior ellipse of the bracelet.

I seem to find online that an 8" circumference for a Mens bracelet is average but that seems very big, plus that doesn’t give an indication on the orientation of the inner ellipse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

P.S. Please ignore odd shape of the example image

I should also mention, I do believe 8" circumference is ok for a chain bracelets let’s say that can move freely and spin ect. This needs to be somewhat form fitting so that is why I said 8" is to large. I can’t have this design spinning around the wrist on smaller wrists.

Are you making a cuff bracelet or a bangle that goes all the way around. If a bangle, is it latched or a solid circle or oval…Rob

More along the lines of an oval cuff.
Imagine a stiff metal watch band (pre-bent) attached to a watch face that clasps at the bottom.

In the image you see, the silver color pieces are attached to the black part on a pin so they move freely up and down. Whats not shown is the clasp that attaches the two silver pieces.

** Everything in the silver color is one piece ( 2 arms total ) **

Another point of reference, I am intending for these to be sold to wrist sizes between 6.75" - 7.25"

Since Rob is already on this question I will let him answer it as we follow the same basic method. I will say this. Average is a very loose term. Two wrists identical in every way will take different sized bracelets because the wearer will have different tastes and experiences. A man who wears a watch with an spring type expandable band, think Spiedel , will be used to a tighter feeling on their wrists. Were as a person who has worn “T” Bracelets or chain link bracelets may prefer something a little looser.

Good luck with your project.

Don Meixner

Hello,
Perhaps look at Native American Indian cuff bracelets for men…see what sizes they are…

or, David Yurman mens cuff bracelets…

julie

This is the guide I made for the bracelets I make. Most of mine have a space at the bottom and are not hinged. On my website: Livingston Jewelers Cuff, Bracelet, and Bangle Sizing Measurement Guide
I hope this helps.

Jerry

1 Like

My brother Don and I, and our father before us, have made heavy sterling silver cuff bracelets for years. For us getting the size right is more important that the sale. The problem is that, like shoes, there are a lot of variables. Basically you are trying to make the bracelet long enough from end to end so that, when you bend it and create a gap, the owner can just roll their wrist through the gap and the bracelet sits on their wrist in a comfortable, safe and secure way. Now for the variables. Some people like them to fit tight, some not so tight. Some people like to be able to wear more than one (we like these people), but your wrist is tapered, so the size will change as you move up your wrist. Some people have round wrists and others have flat wrists. A thicker bracelet needs to be longer than a thinner one before you bend it to fit the same wrist. This is basic high school geometry. We make our bracelets in 1/4" increments in length from as short as 4" to as long as 9" before they are bent. The sizing scheme is simple, a 5.5" long bracelet is a size 52, a 5.75" bracelet is a 53 and up and down the size range. Once someone knows their size, we can make another bracelet for them and only have to adjust for thickness, wrist shape and where on their wrist they want to wear it. Men are typically on the larger end of the range from 53 to 90. 90 is very extreme and I have only ever made one. As a rule, measure the circumference of the wrist where it meets the hand. Subtract about a 1/2" and you will have the approximate length that, when bent, will fit. I could go on for a long time, but I won’t. If you want to learn more, go to my website (www.robmeixner.com) and click on the FAQ page. I have condensed sizing cuff bracelets down to a couple paragraphs. If you have more questions, feel free to ask or email me. Don will likely chime in too. Good luck…Rob

I can’t add much to what Rob has covered here. There are many shortcuts and tricks of the trade we use in my shop for determining sizes but what Rob has here is clearly described.

One thing I have noticed in my own bracelets is that they have a tendency to be slightly egg shaped with one side of the bracelet being rounder than the other. When worn they tend to fit the best with the rounder side of the cuff on the side of the wrist with the ulnar bone.

Another thing to help your customer consider is where do they want the bracelet to rest when being worn. Some folks want it to rest down on the hand while other will want it to rest on or above the ulnar prominence. Strictly from the stand point of sales, unless the fit is so large it falls off or so tight blood won’t flow, all options are a good fit if the wearer is happy.

Don

1 Like

Hi,
I learned at the Santa Fe Indian Market that there is a specific way to put/ roll the cuff bracelets onto the wrist…that helps to minimize the opening size…?..below that wrist bone…

Julie

Hi Julie,

Between the wrist bone and the hand there are no end of bones. Between the wrist bone (Ulnar Prominence) and the elbow there is a space between the radius and the ulna. If you look you can see a tendon near the surface that travels that path. That is were the bracelet goes on. Look at my brother Rob’s website. I believe he has a good visual of how this is done.

Don Meixner