Can you say more about this? This is the first I've heard of
the need to wash frames and tools with solvent after using the
The chemistry needed to cure natural rubber (such as our White
Label & Gold Label) doesn't get along with the chemistry needed to
cure our Silicone rubbers.
You can't mix the two for that reason. But even without mixing them
there can be trace amounts of either type of chemical on anything
that touches them. For your purposes that means the model itself,
the sprue rod, the sprue button former, the inside of the mold frame
and the mold plates.
Contamination of this sort won't ruin your mold but will make any
affected areas soft, sticky & gooey. The effect is limited to just a
few 1,000/ths of an inch deep, but it's enough to be unpleasant.
Almost any solvent -- from acetone to paint thinner to gasoline --
can be used to clean affected parts.
As a practical matter I keep one set of plates, frames, etc for
silicone rubber and another set for natural rubber. It's easier than
cleaning, cleaning and cleaning again.
& F.E. Knight Inc
120 Constitution Blvd
Franklin, MA 02038 U.S.A