I was just working on a piece that I need to cast and didn’t want to
go through the hassle to set up the casting equipment that I had been
collecting over the past two years. Instead, I thought I would try an
experiment that even made me cringe, but it worked!
I carved a very plain band in wax, sprued it up with a big button on
the end. I then attached it to a plastic lid and taped an old soup
can to it (both ends cut off).
I then (prepare to gasp) took out my bag of plaster that I have been
using to make molds, mixed it up and poured it on the can with the
wax. I then let it sit up over night and in the morning popped it in
the toaster oven just over 300 degrees with a catch tray.
Once most of the wax melted out, I put my soup can on my soldering
station and heated it to burn out the wax residue (with the
ventilation on of course). I heated my silver up and poured it in.
I then headed down stairs and made a cocktail and by the time I made
it back to the “flask” I soaked it in water then chiseled out my
Surprisingly enough the casting turned out great! Completely solid,
no pits no air bubbles! The only thing that I would do differently is
add a vent to let the air escape, the actual pour was a little crazy
as the air was trying to get out while the silver was trying to get
I hope to try it again with a more detailed piece to see what