Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Logger to trucker to silversmith:) My shop

I’m starting late in life I know… and just a part-timer for now. The job that bought these tools is that of the long haul trucker, and until I can sell my faithful Peterbilt for a good price I’ll only be creating one week in four.
A decade of logging the Sierra Nevada (the best gloves are White Ox) brought me in close contact with truckers- and now, 18+ years later I’ve finally found a passion that tops my love of the road.
People sometimes ask me how I got into trucking, I tell them it was easier than logging.
My wonderful husband put together two new workbenches for me last week, and since my shop actually looks really tidy for a change I thought I’d take some photos.
This room used to be a spare bedroom, but when a six year long hidden leak in the bathroom above created a huge mold issue we had to gut everything. After the haz-mat guys finally packed up and the remodeling commenced I went with a hobby room that included industrial grade flooring and lighting, paint that could be sponged clean, and the coup de gras was the commercial sink with plumbing that allowed for the washing of rocks. After 30 years of rockhounding I knew what I wanted!
The big slab saw, two trim saws, flat lap, and tumblers moved into the garage as my jewelry making improved- I attempted to solder a jump ring with a soldering iron in August of 2015, but have improved significantly since then!
I work with Argentium and a little gold. I still haven’t tried setting faceted gems but maybe when I sell the big truck:)
My latest purchase was the Durston 150mm combo. I’d been using the economy mill for a year and a half; the comparison is like driving a Pinto and driving a Peterbilt!
Lisa
[/quote]

Cant seem to get these pics oriented- advice welcome!!

I’m starting late in life I know… and just a part-timer for now. The job that bought these tools is that of the long haul trucker, and until I can sell my faithful Peterbilt for a good price I’ll only be creating one week in four.
A decade of logging the Sierra Nevada (the best gloves are White Ox) brought me in close contact with truckers- and now, 18+ years later I’ve finally found a passion that tops my love of the road.
People sometimes ask me how I got into trucking, I tell them it was easier than logging.
My wonderful husband put together two new workbenches for me last week, and since my shop actually looks really tidy for a change I thought I’d take some photos.
This room used to be a spare bedroom, but when a six year long hidden leak in the bathroom above created a huge mold issue we had to gut everything. After the haz-mat guys finally packed up and the remodeling commenced I went with a hobby room that included industrial grade flooring and lighting, paint that could be sponged clean, and the coup de gras was the commercial sink with plumbing that allowed for the washing of rocks. After 30 years of rockhounding I knew what I wanted!
The big slab saw, two trim saws, flat lap, and tumblers moved into the garage as my jewelry making improved- I attempted to solder a jump ring with a soldering iron in August of 2015, but have improved significantly since then!
I work with Argentium and a little gold. I still haven’t tried setting faceted gems but maybe when I sell the big truck:)
My latest purchase was the Durston 150mm combo. I’d been using the economy mill for a year and a half; the comparison is like driving a Pinto and driving a Peterbilt!
Lisa

Go into the “edit” caption on the top right just above your photo. Then select the “orientation button”, this a total must do!

Gerry! On my Teaching iPhone!

I started silversmithing late – at age 54, now 10 years ago. I think we have a right to learn and challenge ourselves with the mastering of a skill at any point in our lives. So, welcome to paradise!

“This is exactly what this place is, paradise!..:wink:
We are all here from from different skill-levels &
avenues in our trade. The nice part is that we come together and ‘share & help’… everyone!

I can’t seem to find an orientation icon:(
This is a screenshot from my iPad, am I missing the obvious?

Take a photograph…then click unto the photo’s folder that’s to the left of the “camera” icon. Then your picture will appear…got that?.:wink: search the photo you just took. Now do you see a “heart” icon in the bottom centre of your picture? Click into that afterwards .:wink: I would experiment often and make little notes!. There in blue on top right hand corner is the greatest word you need…”EDIT”…! Hit it.:wink:
You will see a little box-frame with little arrow pointing to the left? that is just above the blue word “cancel”! THAT is what you’re looking for as it will rotate your inverted or sideways photograph!
Have fun as it took me a few hundred times to remember everything…ouch!
Gerry! On my (tired)Teaching iPhone!

I love this post…laughed out loud about your attempt to solder a jump ring with a soldering iron…brought back many memories…I was in my 50’s when I took my first metals course at Arrowmont in Gatlinburg, TN. They had said in the course description they would be teaching soldering among many other things. So, to get ready for the class I went to the hardware store and bought a soldering iron and solder. When I arrived in TN from my home in Texas and entered the studio I saw these multiple stations where they had big gas tanks and torches to go with them. Needless to say I never showed them my beautiful brand new soldering setup!!! This was many years ago and I am still making jewelry at the age of 81. Enjoy every moment of your new passion!

Just sold a 1.53ct diamond. The young client wants a very, very narrow engagement ring. I’m going CAD-Design it, here’s the safe way for me. I’m going to have her sign a “release of responsibility” against me in case the ring bends out of shape!
I, her mother, future mom-in-law all warned her of this potential and serious problem.
This could happen, but “fore warned is fore armed”. Imagine 1.8 mm’s wide and to have diamonds on the top…ouch!
She wants it narrow, even a ring of 2.25mm is too wide…OY!
I’m going to have her sign the paper before leaving my office.
Something for everyone to know.;(