Leather skin for bench…with hinged arms

Hi,

i just saw something interesting on mohsen.aslani ‘s instagram page…it looks like there is a leather skin…that is attached to hinged arms!…so that it reaches past the body!…genius!

i need to make something like this for my bench!

does anyone else have something similar? i would love to see your ideas!

i sit at my bench, with things jumping out of my hands, onto the floor…and then daydream about how i could solve this issue…

today i even thought about possibly attaching an upturned umbrella to my chair :rofl:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CttMAHZohqr/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

julie

2 Likes

Ive been wanting to add one to mine. Tired of searching lol

Julie & Kimberly,
Back in the “old days” when I was an Apprentice, we wore Wide Leather Aprons that had (2) Ring-Hole Grommets (one on each lower corner of the Apron), that would slip over a curved nail or hook on each side of the inside knee-hole or bottom of the Bench, under the Pull-Out Drawer. This wouldn’t catch everything, especially the shoot-off into space projectiles, but anything that you dropped or slipped out of your pliers or fingers, typically was caught in your Leather Apron! Best thing is, that if your Soldering something and it pops and falls into your Leather Apron, it won’t burn through to your legs, as it would with a Fabric Apron! In Europe, many Bench Jewellers will have a Skin of Leather attached from side to side to the underside of their Bench, this skin will have Leather Thongs or Strings attached to the corners that you would pull around your waist and tie, thus achieving the same thing as the Leather Apron… I hope this helps…
Jonathan

5 Likes

I regularly chase small dropped objects around the floor of my shop with a flashlight. It seems that the older I get the more I drop things. Probably due to the nephropathy in my fingers. I have thought from time to time about adding an apron to me or my bench, but have yet to actually do it. I actually move around a lot in my shop with the opportunity to drop something wherever I go. This probably means that I wear the solution. I look forward to seeing how others have done this…Rob

3 Likes

Hi Jonathan,

I too have fantasized about a leather apron, with grommets and hooks on the bench!

but, this hinged solution seems to add even more coverage on the sides!…which is where my objects always seem to fly!

my metals bench does not have a cutout, and is flat fronted…my sweeps drawer is also flat fronted…so my sides are left wide open

perhaps i can make a skin that could slide over my pullout bench armrests…!…?…although i do like the hinged arms as i could attach them even wider to the sides…this would allow flexibility as to height position…i could place them on the vertical side wood/ legs…hmmmm…

julie

2 Likes

Thank you! Soooo doing this!

2 Likes

Hi,

…i am staring at my bench…another idea popped into my brain…instead of hinged arms, i could install drawer sliders…to the outside/sides of my bench!…that would retract when not in use…

…i am thinking 22” drawer sliders!

the bench skin could slide on and off the slider arms… i could rig a way to attach the front of the bench skin, to the front of my bench or under the lip of the top of my bench…

i feel a mock up in my future!…i should di this before hand sanding my 73 beads!!!…they are slippery little buggers!

julie

3 Likes

hi,

haha! who needs a skin when you have 2 lengths of 2”x1”…C-clamps…2 black trash bags…and some packing tape!

i have the mock up “skin” under my sweeps drawer, so i still have access to the drawer

i will let you know how it goes today hand sanding beads!
the ultimate test!

julie

4 Likes

Workbench 2023
I had to share my “skin”, messy bench and all. The bench is a half circle writing desk, absolutely wonderful, and the leather is held on cuphooks. My late husband was a hunter, so I have leather available, and wear a leather apron since soldering, repousse, and polishing are at other places in this former bedroom.

Marilyn

4 Likes

Hi,

ok, here are pics of my current slider arm skin set up…subject to future modifications :joy:

i used a 1yard piece of lightweight, supple faux leather
i forget how wide the fabric was…54-58”…?

a pair of 18” full extention, quiet close drawer sliders
two 18” pieces of 2x1 oak

snap fasteners

there is still around 18” hanging off of the sliders at the end…not sure what i am doing with that yet…

the skin is firm enough to stay against my body and sort of wrap around and back on the sides…which is where things often fly…

it is a work in progress

my sewing machine refused to adjust to proper tension…so i only sewed down one side…i need to get fabric adhesive…it would be best…

wrapping the skin up and over the slider arms keeps the sliders from closing by themselves…

i can pop off snaps and push sliders in to put them out of the way…

julie

2 Likes

Hi,

and!…ha ha!…i already have drawer sliders on each side of my chair at my setting bench!…left side is a slide out surface…right side is a slide out hammer rack…i think i can use the same skin…i just need more snaps to drill in!
this is where i drop really tiny diamond melees!!!

julie

1 Like

Hi,

ok, so!…just to report back…!…i have not had to crawl around on the floor since adding the slide out bench skin to my bench!

…things go flying…fall into my skin!…

…and as a bonus, hopefully i will not break any more cabs!

i still need to figure out a skin solution for my setting bench…where the mischievous flying melees reside!

julie

3 Likes