Laser welder comparisions

Hi, gonna buy a laser welder this year and dont see much info here, am i not looking in the wrong place in this website or just not that much info here, thanks

1 Like

Watching the replies to this

Hi David,

…what are your thoughts on what you would like to use the laser for? and what metals would you be working in?

perhaps you could call laser companies and talk to their sales and/ or tech support departments…tell them what you might be using the laser for, and in what metals…this may inform what models/ power settings/ options would be most beneficial to you…as you discuss and talk to more people in the industry, other questions, and their answers may surface…

you might also see if the companies you are interested in have YouTube channels…often companies will post informational videos and tutorials…

this type of research was helpful when i was shopping for a pulse arc welder

julie

Here’s the threads that we have:
https://orchid.ganoksin.com/search?q=laser%20welder

This is such an expensive tool that I highly recommend that besides doing preliminary research that you get your hands on a number of different models. Besides all of the functional aspects of how they generate their welds, they also have different interfaces. For instance, I have the most experience with LaserStar welders. When I use a different manufacturer’s welder, I’m always confused at first. It’s kind of like Mac’s vs PC’s. They both basically do the same things, but the interface is different. It takes a while for me to figure a different welder out.

The easiest way to get this hands on experience with a variety of different laser welder manufacturers is to go to a larger jewelry trade show. Like the Tucson Gem and Mineral show in early February. MJSA in NYC in March. JCK in Las Vegas in June.

If you can’t do that and are in driving distance to a larger jewelry supply company, contact them and set up an in person appointment. Like Rio Grande in Albuquerque, Otto Frei in Oakland, Stuller in Louisiana, Gesswein an hour outside of NYC.

Another option is that because laser welders are so expensive, each of those tool companies have specially trained sales experts. You can set up an online or phone appointment with them.

One other idea is that most jewelry stores have laser welders these days. Give it a shot at your local jewelry store. They might let you try out their welder.

I hope that helps!! Early congratulations! This is a big step.

Jeff

2 Likes

Jeff’s idea of contacting a local jeweler is one of the best. Over 20 years ago we needed a laser repair. Found a local jeweler (our competition) who had a laser and helped us with the repair. He had a B&D laser so we bought one like his for $30,000. It has worked well with very little maintenance needed, but it is getting old, so we just bought a Sisma LM D Scope 180 from Gesswein. The technology is much advanced and the price much less than our B & D. The B & D is now our backup. I am in the Buffalo, NY area so if anyone wants to see our welder, contact me.
Dave

3 Likes