Laser cutter/engraver

Hi all,
I’m thinking to buy a laser cutter/engraver but I would like to know from someone that has experience with how easy is to set up, calibrate and run it? As I don’t have experience at all with it, plus I would like to know if with one machine I can engrave and cutting?

Thank you

1 Like

There’s an Epilog Mini (50w) at our local community college and I love using it…

However, there’s a lot of fussing with having to deal with it, ventilation being upper most, figuring out all the settings for what you want to do being another.

I think there are a few members here who have posted that they have smaller laser cutters and maybe they will chime in.

From the info I’ve read, I would highly recommend doing some Googling and Youtubing to see what’s involved. It’s probably more than you realize (maybe not, though). The small cheap Chinese ones apparently need cooling (think tubs of ice) and a lot of coding. The more expensive ones (has the Glowforge come on the market yet?) look easier to use.

You may want to see if there’s a Maker Space or Fab Lab in your area and see if they have one you can see / use.

The college mentioned above is opening a Maker Space in the next few months and will have a larger laser cutter (120w!).

Laser cutters are wonderful to create all sorts of things for creating jewelry! Good luck.

Edited to add: I’d also recommend listing what you want to do with it, and then seeing what you need. The lasers I mention above are CO2. They cut acrylic and such beautifully, but not metal. For that you’d need a fiber laser ($$$$). (At least for the metals I use; I don’t use aluminum so can’t speak to that.)

There’s also another thread somewhere here on Orchid that addresses a similar question. It’s not too old, so it might have the answers you’re looking for.

The ones I see available from two different companies that are being marketed to the jewelry industry for engraving run from $17,000.00 to $50,000.00

There’s also another thread somewhere here on Orchid that addresses a similar question. It’s not too old, so it might have the answers you’re looking for.

Search on the following to see the March 21 post by Cindy_Silas in this thread:

Re: How to make texture mats/ rubber stamps from image

Neil A

thank you for all the info, do you know if there is an online hub that offer laser cut ?

PS: pref in Europe

Thank You

Check out www.Ponoko.com and www.100kgarages.com for laser cutting services. Also search for “makerspaces” in your area that may have one that you can pay to use.