Knowledge holds light - Differences Unite Us

Materials: Sterling silver, Copper, 22k yellow gold, Ethiopian opal, black diamond.
Dimensions: 63mm long 26mm wide

Knowledge versus fear are a common theme and the snake symbolizes both. Fear creates differences and yet knowledge unites us. There is also no greater way to define differences that unite us than with two metals of near total difference diffused together to form one and manipulated to a point when both properties of each are needed to create the whole design.

Peter Morgan D’Enbeau
Soulmates Jewelry
Cincinnati, Ohio. USA

The emotions we are asked to capture as artist are sacred, as are the methods used to do so. The “Way of the Jeweler” is the method and it has laid out more paths than can ever be traveled in many lives. My path through the “Way” started as the son of jewelers. It is influenced by what feels like an eternal thirst for knowledge and desire to create something that reflects what I have learned. I am fascinated by the hidden codes of the Universe, and the feeling of being embraced by something so Divine. I am inspired by Love, Phi, fractals, and Sacred Geometry. I find designs “happen” during events like climbing a shear rock face or being enclosed by the blue green tube of a wave, and of course looking at people and the beauty they posses.

Ganoksin hosts the jewelry list Orchid, with over 13,000 list members from all over the world, speaking from a wide range of technical and aesthetic experiences. The exhibition theme grew out of a desire to celebrate the creativity encompassed in this wide variety.

Artists were free to interpret the theme in any way they chose. Each artist could submit up to six pieces. Interpretations include uniting different materials into one cohesive form; intellectual and emotional “unitings”, where the meaning of the piece unites multiple concepts; the uniting of time - past, present and future; and a number that focus on the harmony created when uniting multiple materials and/or concepts.

The work submitted involved a wide range of jewelry techniques, from very traditional to very cutting edge, as well as using materials from traditional precious metals and gemstones to “re-purposed” and “up-cycled” materials.

The exhibition showcases 330 images chosen from entries from over 111 artists representing 26 countries.

Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Czech Republic, France, Greece, India, Israel, Italy, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Philippines, Serbia, Spain, Trinidad, Turkey, UK, USA, Venezuela, and the Virgin Islands

Many of the participants began their interest in jewelry at a young age. Some are relative newcomers to the field, and some have over 35 years of experience as professional jewelers and goldsmiths. While some grew up in families that were goldsmiths, and followed in those footsteps, others only began creating jewelry as adults.